Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The first time I hear Lianna's name I'm sitting in the back of English with one earbud in. It's two weeks into the first semester and so far I hate everything about high school. Being a Freshman isn't easy when every other class has an agenda to ruin all Freshmens.

But being a Freshman isn't as bad as being the slut of the school.

I wouldn't remember this day if it hadn't been for the two guys sitting behind me. They dropped out Junior year and their names never stuck, but they ran with the dope crowd. Selling, parties, getting high—it was all they ever talked about. And fucking. Fucking came up a lot.

I'd tried to tune them out, but for some reason, I couldn't switch my mind from them.

And then they said her name.

"Lianna Coates—she was all over me man."

"Come on. Was she that easy?"

"Didn't even have to slip one in. I got her to the room and she did everything else."

"Fuck man. I need to try her. I can't believe she's in our class."

After that, I heard something new about her everywhere I went. She slept with this guy or they caught her smoking in the girls' bathroom—all the talk made it hard to not think about her.

But I'd somehow managed to forget her. My world was too small for her. I'd pushed her name and every detail of her escapades through the years from my memory.

I have no idea why she became a legend. I didn't fucking care.

The bathroom door slams shut after Zoey and Trisha. Their perfume still lingers.

I think about what I've seen and what I've heard. I think I should forget it. Like I've always done. There is not a time where I thought gossip was worth losing my head over. This time isn't different. Maybe it's naive of me to pretend the faults in my small world don't exist. I'm not scared.

I'm just not sure what I can do. Or what anyone can do because it's Lianna's fault. She's the one who's started this by sleeping around.

Lianna turns to the mirror. Through the crack between the wall and the stall door, I peer. My line of sight broadens and I can see her hand moving down to her pants. She looks toward the door—like she expects Trisha and Zoey to storm back in to get the last word.

They don't.

Instead, the room falls into silence. Deafening silence. The kind that keeps me up at night, wondering what I should do with my life. The kind of silence where I lie in bed with the covers drawn up over my face.

When I'm lying in that silence, I wonder what it would feel like to push the sheets into my mouth and stop breathing. Those nights feel like this moment. A feeling creeps under my skin as I watch Lianna freeze before the sink. She tucks her long hair behind her ear for the second time in a row. The feeling is fire in my veins; a blaze I can't put out.

No matter how hard I try, I can't look away as she unbuttons her pants. My eyes are glued to her hand as it disappears into her underwear.

Her hand shoots under for a brief second. She pulls out a small ziplock bag.

To my relief, it's full of cigarettes and nothing else. Maybe I shouldn't be so shocked. This is Lianna Coates, the girl who did anything and everything because she can. The thing I've heard over the years are only confirmed. For some odd reason—another thing I can't understand—I feel sorry. Whether it's for her or for having to watch her—it doesn't matter. I don't know why I'm sorry. It makes me want to cry in frustration for not knowing.