Chapter 16

Chapter 16

The track went to the next song. It was faster, the temper speeding up the further into the song it went. I coughed and moved away from. My hand felt cold as I retracted it away from her hand.

I focused my gaze back onto the box. I searched for anything that would strike up a conversation that would change the subject.

There, among the albums of records, was a bundle of photos that looked much newer than anything in the box. It was held by a couple rubber bands that were an assortment of color. I'd noted that Lianna and Carol loved to throw in color wherever they could. Though it made the room seem more crowded than it was, it also gave it the air that they'd been living here for years.

I reached for the photos without permission. As I grabbed them, I thought I'd crossed some boundary. I knew in the back of my mind that I wouldn't have wanted anyone to touch my things like I was doing, but she didn't try to stop me.

"What are these?" I held them out for her to take them from me if she wanted to. I hated not knowing if I'd offended her in some way. Even in doing this, I felt as if I wasn't doing enough.

She took them from me and snapped the rubber bands off them. The photos fanned out.

"I..."

She blushed for the first time.

I was shocked, not knowing what to say or do. My heart fluttered with the want to pull her closer to me and just gush over the show of a new emotion. It was a strange thing to want to coddle someone as if they were somehow my responsibility.

I was proud of her. And I really didn't know what to do with that kind of feeling.

The photos were of nature, bugs, cats, and dogs. People were sometimes in the frame, but they were never the subject. The photos revealed so much more that I would have never had known if she hadn't shown me these records.

She'd given me a chance to take a glimpse into her mind. For that, I was grateful.

And my racing heart only grew the more I thought about how I was the only one. I wanted to keep it that way, but I also wanted to scream from the hill tops for everyone to take a look at how special she was.

"They're nothing. Really," she says and shoves them back into the box. I jerk my hand out to stop her.

We collide in the middle with my hand smacking into her arm. We glance up at the same time.

We're an inch away.

My eyes fall onto her parted lips. There's nothing calm about this. I don't want to treat her like a delicate flower. I don't want to show her how much I respect her.

All I want to show her is how she makes me feel. Like I'm a staring caveman who just wants to take until I'm sated. This kind of feeling is the opposite from what I know is right. Even when I hate the thought of being with anyone. Even when I can't see myself being with anyone, especially a girl.

But none of those are crossing my mind. It's not those things that hold me back.

Instead, it's the look in her eyes that are begging me to do those things to her. She wants me to take control, push her down onto the ground, and just take everything she has.

She's the one to pull away. I let my eyes slip down to the floor and let them burn through the carpet. The air around me feels like its growing hotter. My clothes feel like they're getting smaller, tighter, constricting my breathing.

She picks out a photo among them all. It's a small square, the focus on a line of trees covered in moss.

"This one is my favorite." She looks fondly down at it. I look from her face and down at the photo. I don't see what she sees. Everything in her eyes point me to some mystical thing that is hidden in the branches. Like a painting that has been assigned the title of being a classic, I know this is something to be admired. I just don't get how it is different from everything else like it.