Five

Clementine's story was something that made Barnabas think. Had Angelique somehow know that there was someone chained in the dungeons of a large manor of the edge of Maine? It seemed impossible. But then, most things to do with the witch were impossible. Clementine was almost as impossible; Barnabas had taken days just to get his head around her pyrokinesis. He knew that no matter how hard he tried, he would never be able to get his head round anything to do with the two 'sisters'.

Barnabas knew he couldn't ask Clementine about it, because she probably had no idea. He tried, but he couldn't seem to shake the thought that was haunting him. Instead, he hung on to it, and pushed it to the back of his mind. If he didn't know what to do with it yet, he might in future; best to hold on to things you're not too sure about, anyway.

Clementine had been trying her best to sort out Angelique's problems. Elizabeth could see this, and made up her mind to help her when she got the opportunity. The Collins family were also working hard by trying to be friendly to Clementine. David was already friendly enough and had nothing much against her; Carolyn was stiff, but tried to be polite when spoken to; Willie was the same as always; Elizabeth was becoming a bit over warm; Josette wouldn't speak, but would smile a little awkwardly, and Barnabas acted normally. He could always tell when Clementine got uncomfortable.

Clementine resumed the personality she hadn't used since she was a servant at seven all those years ago. She became oddly bubbly and bright, optimistic, cheerful, and friendly to everyone around her. The sudden change was immediately noticed, and her workers began to worry something had happened to her. Clementine herself felt strange, as if she had stepped into someone else's skin.

Barnabas, as the one who saw Clementine most often, was the first to notice. Elizabeth was concerned when she heard what had happened to Clementine. Although she didn't seem any worse for wear, her new personality wasn't doing her much good. She was missing little hints her workers kept throwing at her, and when she found out she stepped out of character and would glare at whoever had insulted her right under her nose.

......

The Collins' were careful not to say anything about her if she was nearby, but Barnabas and Elizabeth discussed what they should do in the evenings. One particular night, Barnabas had an idea.

"Perhaps we should make an offer to her," he suggested.

"What precisely did you have in mind?" Elizabeth sighed. Barnabas baulked. "We're not exactly rich."

"I meant a business offer," Barnabas rephrased.

"I gathered that," Elizabeth said with frustration.

"Maybe that our cannery and hers become partners," he tasted his words for a moment, and then continued. "We divide the fish equally and then both sell the fish under the same name."

"Yes?" Elizabeth said, waiting for Barnabas to explain fully.

"Well," he said slowly, "we could split the money. All I'm trying to say is it might bring her back to her senses."

Elizabeth clasped her hands and brought them up under her nose, supporting her head. She breathed heavily. It could work, but she could never be too sure; but then again there was only one way to find out.

"Alright," she said finally. Barnabas nodded. "Next time she comes over, or next time you go to see her, suggest it as if it had only just crossed you mind."

"Very well," he said in answer, before turning and exiting the drawing room, entering the stream of hot air that was carrying the smell of food up the stairs.

When Barnabas ventured into the dining room, Josette, David and Carolyn were already seated. There were plate set out in the usual places; Carolyn at one end, David sat beside where his father, Roger, used to sit and Josette opposite Roger's empty seat. Barnabas walked across the room and took the place that Dr. Julia Hoffman sat in until Barnabas had found her using his blood to make her immortal and had thrown her into the sea.

Willie came through carrying a huge pot of vegetables just as Elizabeth drifted in and took her place at the other end of the table where everyone bar Carolyn was. Carolyn was slumped in her seat, sighing.

"David, why do you still sit there?" Elizabeth asked him. David shrugged.

"Because Dad used to sit there," David replied, gesturing to the seat next to him. Elizabeth breathed out. She shook her head slightly. Just then, Willie came back with a roast chicken.

"Why did we have to have a roast dinner?" complained Carolyn.

"Why not?" Josette answered back. Carolyn shrugged and sat up properly. Willie ignored everything except what he was doing. He dished out vegetables and cut the chicken. He then left to do something else. Barnabas filled the job of giving everyone chicken, and then gave himself a wing.

"When's Clementine coming over again?" David's timid voice came from the silence.

"We don't know," Elizabeth said, "and I'm not really complaining."

"Clementine's not that bad," Carolyn mumbled as she picked miserably at her carrots. Josette shot her a sidelong glance.

"Well," Elizabeth began, "she is the reason our house burnt down in the first place."

"I'd say it's Angie's fault for taking her along in the first place," David piped up. At Barnabas's expression, Josette spoke.

"Let's not talk about it," she put awkwardly. Elizabeth gestured in agreement. They finished their meal in silence, leaving the dishes, cutlery and leftovers for Willie to deal with. He came in grumbling, and smelling strongly of alcohol.

"Why don't you help him, Carolyn?" Elizabeth asked. Willie looked up hopefully, but Carolyn's face screwed up with disgust. Elizabeth laughed softly at her expression. "I was only joking..." she said, and Willie turned away with a hopeless face.

That night, Clementine was busy with too much paperwork. When she was alone, she restored her normal self. She had absolutely no idea why she bothered changing her personality, but she did it anyway. It was almost a relief to escape her real life and to change into a made-up character. But sometimes it was annoying, and she liked the evenings when she could just sit and write out important documents. It was April, and it was only a few months until summer, which would be when all the fish came in, and a fortune would be made. The Collins's business had way less fishermen than hers. What should she do?

She shoved aside all her papers, making them land in a messy pile on the floor. She didn't care. She rummaged around in her drawers until she found a plain piece of paper. On it, she wrote Settle official agreement with Collins Canning Company. She put the end of the pen in her mouth for a second before writing underneath that in small lettering Move over fishermen. She sat back, examining the state of her office before throwing down the pen, leaving the note somewhere visible and piling her documents back onto the desk. She got up, walked to the door, took a last look around, closed the door and shut the cannery up for the night. With that, she made her way along the darkened seafront, heading home.