Eighteen

Barnabas was stood on one of the many balconies of Collinwood. He closed his eyes. He thought of a day that was in the past, one where he detested the woman he shared the moment with. The memory was so clear. He was there, back in his mind.

She looked coldly at him for a while before turning away and placing her hands on the stone wall. Barnabas joined her a second later, stealing sidelong glances at her, noting minor things: the way her hair fluttered gently with the sea breeze; her slight shivers that weren't from the wind but the cold hatred she shared with Angelique against the vampire beside her, her fingers fiddling with the edges of her gloves.

Barnabas was impatiently thinking until he burst out saying, "Did you have anything against Victoria?"

This took Clementine by surprise.

"What brought that up?"

"I was thinking about the past," he replied.

"The past... well in answer to your question," she said, "I guess I did."

Barnabas sighed. "I meant in your personal opinion. Not Miss Bouchard's."

"The answer is the same both ways, it doesn't matter what you say," Clementine snapped. She licked her bottom lip before she bit it.

"And that is supposed to drive people like me up the wall," he thought.

Clementine bowed her head slightly and looked up at Barnabas, tongue between her teeth. Almost as if she had read his mind, she spoke.

"Yes. That is supposed to drive people like you up the wall," she hissed.

"Great," Barnabas muttered. "When do we hit the ceiling?"

"Oh soon enough," Clementine said, throwing all of her anger into mustering up as much sarcasm that could reach the tip of her tongue. She was unaware Barnabas had silently named her a psychotic and telepathic freak. She did notice his stare, his furrowed brow and taut mouth. Her face fell into an emotionless mask as she stared back out at the open landscape. As peace washed over her, she felt a sudden urge. Unsure of what it was, she headed inside before she collapsed then and there.

But Barnabas was alone. Clementine wasn't there. She had headed back into town after Elizabeth's shriek. He had greeted Tina and had then gone out onto the very same balcony to contemplate life. Or death. Whichever makes the most sense.

After a while, Barnabas got bored. He retired indoors, heading to the dining room. Considering, it was time for dinner, and he wouldn't want to be late, especially when there was a lovely guest.

.....

Tina was sat in the dining room to the right of the head of the table. Elizabeth was talking about business and how life was in Collinsport. Tina listened eagerly, soaking up all the details about Clementine. Thankfully, no one else was yet in the room, and Willie was clattering around too noisily in the kitchen to be able to hear their words.

"Hey, Tina," Elizabeth said gently, taking Tina's hand. "I just want you to know you can stay here as long as you like."

She smiled widely, making Tina laugh merrily. Tina's face straightened out when a thought made its way to the front of her mind.

"I know you know that Clementine and I are involved," she said. "I don't care who knows."

"How long have you... felt this way about each other?"

"Well, we sort of... came clean today," Tina murmured, a small smirk playing at the corner of her mouth. "But I know she's been thinking a lot about it. And... for me I know now it was always there."