Fourteen

The Collins family got back into their usual routine. With Barnabas back, everyone brightened up. The shared business went on well. Clementine took charge of getting into a gentle flow. Marie looked after Angelbay, and Elizabeth jumped around between Fisherman's Pride and Collins Canning.

Josette and Barnabas seemed to be firmly glued together by their hands. Almost every time someone walked into a supposedly empty room, it was like accidental hide and seek. Behind curtains, behind doors, in secret rooms, on balconies... it was too much for the residents of Collinwood.

One evening, Elizabeth confronted the pair.

"Now," she began, before food was served. She stood. "I'm afraid, Barnabas and Josette, we need to speak about the issue of finding the pair of you all around the house. So, I propose you either go outside, in your room, or on one of the balconies. Not everywhere else."

Josette blushed. Barnabas nodded solemnly.

"We shall do our best. But, you know, the urge does overcome us in the strangest of places..." Barnabas said, trailing off. Elizabeth narrowed her eyes.

.....

On a Sunday night, Clementine thought it an idea to walk up to Widows' Hill. It was a very dark, windy day. The trees creaked, the wind whistled and the sea crashed below her. She sat on the cliff edge, her legs dangling off. She lay back on the damp ground. She could taste and smell the salty air. It was so loud she didn't hear Barnabas coming up behind her.

"Be careful. You do not want to fall."

Clementine got up as quick as she could. She struggled and almost slipped off, holding on to the cliff tightly with her hands and arms. She heaved herself back onto solid ground to see Barnabas stood over her. She stumbled to her feet and almost fell back over the edge. Barnabas caught her arms.

"You do not want to fall," he repeated. She nodded and gripped Barnabas's sleeves.

She looked up, into his dark black eyes. She looked down again at her feet and shuffled away from the edge. Barnabas pulled her even further in.

"What were you thinking, sitting there like that?" he demanded, shaking her slightly.

"I wanted to think," she whispered, the wind drowning her out.

"Was there any real need for you to be perched precariously as you were?"

"I guess not," she replied. Barnabas slowly brought her into a safe embrace. Clementine accepted this, clinging to Barnabas tightly.

"Please do not do that again," he muttered into her ear. Clementine closed her eyes and smiled.

"I can't do that," she muttered back.

.....

Clementine had met Barnabas several times in town. They had had polite conversations about the weather, and their meeting at Widows' Hill. Barnabas had smiled and Clementine had flushed slightly. They had gone on each time as if nothing had happened. Eventually, Clementine began to ignore Barnabas. His hurt was always clear.

After a month of this treatment, Barnabas went to see Clementine. He was worried. Clementine was busy writing some boring documents of how the businesses had flourished. A knock on the door made her jump up.

"Come in," she said, sitting back down. Barnabas entered. He was grave. His brows were furrowed. His shoulders were stiff. Clementine bowed her head, gazing up at him as he approached. "Yes?"

"Why have you ignored my attempts to speak to you?" Barnabas asked quietly. Clementine moved her head up. Barnabas saw that she looked terrified. She was scared of him.