Sixteen

Clementine went back to Ferr Manor. She wanted to apologise for the way that she departed. She'd also made her mind up about something.

The big front doors appeared within eyesight as she drove down the road the house was located on, the wind whispering in her ears, her hair whipping around her head in the open top car. She pulled to a halt in the drive and cut the engine. Her heart pounded in her chest. She was anxious for this.

She made her way up to the doors, the drive's gravel crunching beneath her black boots, her footsteps faltering ever so slightly, her legs wobbling. She eventually reached the house and rapped sharply on the flaked brown paint of the door. She turned away from the door and examined her knuckles. They were stretched white with flecks of paint. She brushed them off as the door creaked slightly behind her.

"Cle-" a voice began. "Clementine...?"

Clementine glanced over her shoulder. She smiled at the familiar figure. A small, elegant face with icy blue eyes and flawless skin. Pale brown hair drawn back into a low bun, but a thin plait ridding the style of any plainness. Small lips of a pale pink. This was Tina.

"Tina." Clementine fought to keep her voice calm.

"You came back."

"Of course. I said I would. I had to; I couldn't not come back now, could I?" Clementine said, a hint of sarcasm just audible. She turned around. Tina was so small compared to her, just reaching her shoulder; even with flat boots she was small.

"Umm... you want to come in?"

"Yes, of course."

Clementine shuffled past Tina, who shut the door after her. The place hadn't changed much since Clementine was last there, just a few things had been moved and there was a smell of fresh paint. The walls looked cleaner than they had been, a shade of white that was as close to snow white as paint can get.

"Why did you come back?" Tina asked as she led Clementine to the main sitting room.

"Do you want the truth, or a lie that will be easier to hear?" Clementine asked.

"Umm... truth?" Tina replied, not sure if it was what she wanted. Clementine hid a small grin. Goodness, why was she so perfect?

"I came to talk to you," she said; she just put it out, no expression, no tone.

"But..." Tina had to think. "Why... why would you come back just for me?"

"There's a couple of things I need you know. First something bad is going to happen to me. I don't know what, but I have a feeling that what happened when I was here last is just the beginning..." Clementine said, trailing off.

"When do you think...?"

"I don't know. But soon. I just... I just have a feeling, you know? And the feeling isn't far so what follows can't be either..."

Tina and Clementine sat in silence for a while. Clementine watched the clock tick. Tina watched Clementine intently, her blue eyes fixing on Clementine's amber ones. However Clementine just kept staring at the hands of the carriage clock on the mantelpiece.

"Weren't you gonna say somethin' else?" Tina asked.

"Was I...?" Clementine murmured, almost as if she were in a trance. She blinked and looked at Tina. "I was."

There was another pause and then Tina said, "So?"

"It can wait."

Tina made an indistinct noise, to which Clementine replied with a wave of her hands and a shrug, then nodding firmly, having decided she had said all.

Clementine had not realised it was evening until that point. She got up and floated elegantly to the window, Tina meekly trotting in her wake. Throwing open the French windows and stepping outside. The balcony was short and narrow, but two planters were comfortably sat upon the edge. There were pansies in one and peonies in the other. The balcony overlooked the garden below, in which were hollyhocks and roses, tulips and gardenias. Jasmine, honeysuckle, rhododendrons, daisies, poppies, and a few topiaries decorated the area below. It was wonderful; Clementine knew that it was lovingly tended to by several keen gardeners with immense skill and precision.

Breathing in the sweet, cool air, Clementine turned to Tina, whose face looked pale in the receding light.

"Alright," she sighed, "I suppose I better get it out."

"What? Get what out?" Tina asked with interest. Clementine pursed her lips and let out a small, insignificant laugh.

"I..." she baulked, swallowing hard. "I think I'm in love..."

"You're in love," Tina repeated, her eyebrows shooting up. She folded her arms. "May I ask who it is?"

"It's – it's –" Clementine tried to say. She made a noise of exasperation and rubbed her face with her silk hands. "I think I'm in love with you Tina."