Fifteen

Barnabas was standing beside the phone on the desk in front of him. Elizabeth coughed.

"I don't know what good it'll do you procrastinating," Elizabeth remarked. Barnabas sighed.

"You are right, of course," he said, somewhat reluctantly picking up the receiver and dialling the number. There was a click and Casey's voice spoke.

"Yeah, Angelbay Cannery?"

"Since when have you taken to answering calls?" Barnabas frowned.

"Only a couple of days ago. I assume you want to speak to Clementine?" Casey replied.

"Yes, that would be of some help."

"Okay, I'll put you through..."

Another click. Clementine spoke.

"Hello?"

"Clementine."

There was an awkward pause in which there came a faint tapping noise and then a loud crash.

"Good afternoon, Barnabas," Clementine said tiredly.

"Er, hello. Elizabeth and I thought you ought to know that Dr Hoffman has been found. And what was that noise?"

"The reason you're calling me about this is because I basically told the whole town what happened. And that noise was said drowned person knocking over her chair."

"Wait – hang on... Dr Hoffman is with you?" Barnabas demanded.

"Calm down. Yes Julia is with me."

"Ah. I see," Barnabas muttered. He covered the speaker of the receiver and turned to Elizabeth. "Dr Hoffman is with her."

"What?" Elizabeth cried. "Oh, mercy me... I'm going down there. Come with me."

"Well, I'd rather not-"

"Of course you would. Come."

Barnabas rolled his eyes and uncovered the speaker.

"Er – Clementine, we're coming down."

"Don't, Barnabas. Please don't."

"Elizabeth insists that I accompany her."

"Well... it would be better for both me and Julia if you didn't come in."

"You do realise that we are probably taking her back with us."

"Yes... yes... alright, come if you must, just don't look me in the eyes. Not again. Please."

.....

Clementine sat behind her desk smoking with Julia opposite her when Elizabeth and Barnabas entered.

"Julia?" Elizabeth murmured. Julia turned around.

"Ah, Elizabeth," Julia said, "I was wondering when you were going to turn up."

The doctor's eyes met Barnabas's. She looked away quickly.

"Julia what happened?"

"Well, let's see, I can't remember."

"Yeah, I've been trying to get her to remember. I guess brandy doesn't really help..." Clementine said thoughtfully. She sucked long and hard on her cigarette and rubbed her chin. "Anyway, I need to speak to Barnabas. You two must have a lot of catching up to do, so you stay nice and comfy in here, Barnabas, come to the board room."

Stubbing her cigarette out, she got up and opened the door. She bowed her head as Barnabas walked out across the hall. She closed the door behind her and opened the next one. She shut it and then went to sit at the head of the table at the opposite end of the room. Barnabas stayed standing.