Chapter 6

Voices echoed from the building in front of me. I stiffen. They were talking... Talking about something quite horribly familiar.

"Yeah did you see that kid? Middle of the street and everything!" An excited voice announces.

"Mhm." A female voice inquires, "Definitely a gun shot."

"Gun? Any idea which one?" A deeper voice presses, quite irritated.

"No... I mean there was no gun there so... Who cares?" The excited voice asks. "Obviously not a policeman. Or a very bad one." I snigger under my breath, my brown-blonde hair waving in impatience.

"Who cares?" The deeper voice repeats with a snarl.

"Um... No one?" The excited voice seemed to fade away.

I laugh to myself. I could almost taste that the deeper voiced man had rolled his eyes.

"No you idiot-" he starts to roar, broken off by another.

"Bill, take it easy on the kid. Patricks only a rookie."

Ah, so the female's the only decent one. If only she wasn't. Then it would me a little easier. I shrug. It's still easy.

"Yeah yeah, Jessie. I know. But he's getting on my nerves!" The deep voiced guy (Bill) grumbles.

Hm, so the smarty pants is Jessie, the dummy is Patrick, and the 'leader,' with a deep voice, is Bill. I laugh. Idiot policemen with idiot names.

"Look, I'm pretty sure it was an air rifle, and apparently there was a family with a selection of guns."

"Well, which family was it?" Bill demands.

"Yeah, yeah. Which one?" Patrick asks, lost in the conversation.

Jessie laughs. "That's what we're going to find out."

I hear as they all stand up, the screeching of chairs revealing they had all been seated. "Patrick? Go find some pizza. I'm hungry." Orders Jessie.

"You got it, ma'am!" Patrick chirps. I freeze and press to the wall desperately as Patrick trots past me. Phew, he didn't see me. I smirk. Idiot.

"Bill? Me and you, we'll go to the gun-shop, closest one downtown. Well... The only one downtown..."

"What do I do?" Grunts Bill.

"You? You're my bodyguard. Me? I do the talkin'"

With a shrug, Bill says," Whatever you say." There was an expectant pause. "Ma'am."

Jessie clamps her hands together proudly. "Let's go!"

I crouch, well-hidden by the darkness, as the two police set off. Murmuring to myself, I realise soon enough they'll find my home... What am I to care, though?

Dad- or Jake -can give me away if he wants. 'Cause the police will never find me. And if they do.

Oh, if they do... I'll teach them a lesson they won't forget.