Chapter 5 - Independence Day Part 1

Gotham City

July 4, 12:00 EDT

–––––––––––––––

The day was going just fine. Families enjoying their time at Gotham Park. Families who were playing with freebies, playing with their dogs, enjoying a nice jog. A father stands over a barbecue grill, cooking the sausages and burger patties for his daughter and son. He calls out his daughter to get a plate seeing that the patties were ready. Just as he handed her a plate, they heard screams coming towards them. They turned to see a huge group of people running and screaming. They looked up when they heard a thump from the huge boulder behind them only to find Mr. Freeze towering over them.

"Enjoying family time?" He then lowered the gun to face them and pulled the trigger. "My family has other plans."

The villain slid down from the now frozen family and raised his gun to freeze the other people who were running only for his gun to get hit with a batarang.

Freeze turned to look at the direction the batarang came from. "Batman, I was wondering when-"

He turned to see no one behind him and only to hear a cackle that seemed like it came from all around him. He looked around to find the source but he suddenly felt like it darkened all of the sudden and looked up just in time to see Robin land on his helmet from above making his helmet crack a bit.

The girl wonder landed a couple of feet away from the now fallen villain and brought two batarangs and threw it at Freeze's helmet making it crack even further.

"Oh," Mr. Freeze said with disappointment as he stood up. "Girl Wonder, the Bat sent you to drag me off to prison. Frankly, I'm underwhelmed."

"Great, but I'm kinda in a hurry here," Robin said, tapping her foot impatiently on the ground while crossing her arms.

"Kids, always in a rush," Freeze said with an eye roll and raised his gun, starting it up.

"Not talking to you," Robin sang, rolling her eyes at him and let out her signature smirk.

Realization dawned of the ice villain's face and turned around just in time to see Batman jump from behind the boulder and punch him, making it the final blow and breaking his helmet and knocking him out.

"You were sloppy," Batman said in his normal monotonous tone.

"Yeah, yeah, I know, I just can't help it! Today's the day!" Robin exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. She suddenly heard her nineteenth-year-old brother's voice come from her earpiece.

"Well, if you don't want to be late for your playdate with your boyfriend, you better hurry," Tim teased.

"KF is not my boyfriend!" Robin yelled, her face instantly turning scarlet.

"He never said he was talking about Kid Flash, birdy," Jason said between his laughter. Robin blushed even harder at that.

"Oh, shut up! I don't tease you when you think you're sneaking away without anyone knowing! I know as a fact that you sneak to meet up with Speedy! Don't try to deny it, Hood!" Robin yelled in mockery.

Batman just stood there watching his daughter fight with her brothers on the communication link. Things never changed.

"What?! How could you?!" Robin suddenly yelled. "I told you that if ever Agent A made cookies, you guys should save me some! I always leave you guys some!"

Yup, never changed.

Batman sighed on the inside, "Robin, let's go."

The thirteen-year-old turned to her mentor and nodded. She could deal with her brothers later, she had more important things to care about.

That didn't stop her from continuing the fight in the Batmobile though, it was going to be one long ride.

_________________

Washington, D.C.

July 4, 14:00 EDT

–––––––––––––––

Standing in front of the Hall of Justice was just like she remembered. The only difference was that there was a bunch of news reporters and as well as the rest of the proteges. Besides her, Speedy and Aqualad were also standing beside their mentors. The only one missing, as usual, Flash and Kid Flash. Why didn't she expect this?

Batman placed a hand on her shoulders. "Today's the day."

Green Arrow spoke next. "Welcome to the Hall of Justice."

"Headquarters of the Justice League," Aquaman added.

Wow, was this rehearsed? If she wasn't excited, she would have definitely made a joke about it.

"Aww, man," a familiar voice was heard. The heroes turned to look behind them just to see both Flash and Kid Flash skit to a stop. "I knew it we'll be the last ones here," Wally sulked while crossing his arms.