Chapter 7 - Independence Day Part 3

Typing quickly on the computer in the Hall of Justice, Robin tried to hack to gain information. "[ACCESS DENIED]," the computer spoke aloud.

"Heh," Robin smirked as both Aqualad and Kid Flash watched from behind her. "Want to bet?"

She started pressing more buttons and the screen started to fill with codes that were moving very quickly. Kid Flash stared at the screen in awe. "Whoa, how are you doing that?"

"Same system as the batcave," the Girl Wonder answered. She continued to type things to the computer, her eyes glued to the screen and her fingers not missing a beat.

"[ACCESS GRANTED]," the computer announced.

Robin smirked and pulled up a folder from the computer. "All right, Project Cadmus, genetics lab here in DC," she read. "That's all there is, but if Batman's suspicious, maybe we should investigate?"

She turned to look at Aqualad, an expecting grin on her face.

"Solve their case before they do?" Aqualad asked, unsure. But thought about it. "It would be poetic justice," he conceded.

"Hey!" Robin said cheerfully. "They're all about justice."

Aqualad seemed like he was about to agree to it but sighed. "But hey said to stay put."

"For the blotting out the sun mission, not this," Robin said, exasperation in her tone.

"Wait," Kid Flash spoke up after hearing what the two were talking about. He turned to his best friend with a large smile on his face. "Are you going to Cadmus? Because if you're going, I'm going."

They both turned to Aqualad with a large smile etched on their faces knowing that he was outnumbered.

"Just like that? We're a team in a mission?" Aqualad said, finally giving in. He told himself it was because he didn't want them to get hurt or in any trouble where they couldn't get out but he knew he was just fooling himself and covering his need to prove himself to his king.

"We didn't come for a playdate," Robin answered with her traditional smirk on her face. Oh, the payback.

***

The wails of firetrucks and ambulances can be heard from even a block away from the burning genetics lab. Two scientists can be seen from the second floor of the burning quickly.

"Help!" One of the scientists yelled.

"Get us down!" the other one shouted, equally scared.

"Stay put," one of the senior firefighters ordered calmly with a megaphone. "We will get you out."

But before the firefighter can give any more orders, an explosion from behind the scientist knocked them out of the building. They both screamed for their lives as they fell to their impending doom. Just at the nick of time, Kid Flash ran at his full speed up the walls of the building thanks to the pent up momentum and caught the two falling scientists and threw them safely on the roof of the building. He only had enough momentum though to throw them to the top, leading him to start slipping down the wall of the building. Lucky for him he managed to latch onto the open window on the second floor of the building.