Anxious

"𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕥 𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕤 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕨𝕙𝕠 𝕘𝕦𝕝𝕡𝕖𝕕 𝕡𝕒𝕚𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕒𝕧𝕠𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕕 𝕞𝕒𝕜𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕤 𝕥𝕒𝕤𝕥𝕖 𝕚𝕥."

  ⇝  

Mason

It was now Monday, the day I'd, unfortunately, be starting school. Isabella had tried to brief me on how the U.S school system works and although I understood what she was saying, I wasn't so sure I actually got the who gist of it. In England, I had already finished taking my GCSE's and looking into higher education, however, in the states you apparently were in school until the age of seventeen or eighteen, depending on when your birthday was and then you would graduate once you finished what they called the twelfth grade. So apparently, I was going to be attending high school. I had been a nervous wreck just thinking about it. I was, no doubt, going to stick out like a sore thumb with my accent. I was never one that enjoyed having the attention on them. I usually chose to stay in the back and kind of just, blend in. My alarm hadn't even gone off yet and I was still wide awake. I hadn't gotten much sleep anyway if I was going to be completely honest. Nervous thoughts and scenarios constantly flitted through my head. I had seen plenty of movies about American high school, whether they're an actual depiction of them, I didn't know. I did know though, that I was a terrified to find out.

It was still quite dark out when I finally decided to climb out of bed. I still had an hour before my alarm was even supposed to go off but I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to fall back asleep. Goosebumps rose along my skin as the cool air hit my body. Making my way into the bathroom, I cringed slightly at the frazzled state of my hair. As I waited for the shower to heat up, I leaned against the counter thinking about everything Isabella had said to me. She had assured me that the boys would be there if I needed anything but I wasn't expecting them to take the time out of their day to show me around. I'm sure they had much more important things to do and even if they didn't, not everyone likes being seen with the new girl. I also didn't want them to feel obligated to help me just because their mother told them too. 

I sighed, stepping under the scorching water, I enjoyed the feeling of it running over my cold body. I took my time, making sure that I didn't miss any parts on my legs while shaving and that my hair was washed and conditioned thoroughly. Truthfully, I was just trying to drag out the time. When my fingers began to prune, I figured it was probably best I get out. Now came the task of getting dressed. I had absolutely no idea what I was going to wear. Back home we were required to wear uniforms which I had been informed that, that was not a requirement here. I brushed my hair and decided to let it air dry, rather than pulling it up in a messy bun like I usually do. I applied some foundation and concealer along with some mascara before going to search for my outfit. After a good thirty minutes of debating, I settled on a black pair of skinny jeans with rips along the knees, as well as a with a slightly oversized white t-shirt, which I tucked into the front part of my jeans slightly, over top, I pulled on a ripped jean jacket. I slid my feet into my favorite pair of checkered Vans. I slid my phone into my back pocket and grabbed the backpack, filled with supplies that Isabella had kindly taken me to get on Saturday, and slung it over my shoulder as I left the confines of my room. For the most part, I had spent much of my time in here, aside from eating and helping Isabella with cooking and setting the table. Which she insisted, I didn't need to do. Truth was, I did. I needed to do something to keep my mind off the current situation at hand. I needed a distraction and it was the perfect one. I didn't want to be a bother to anyone or burden them with my problems, which I suppose I was slightly already doing by living here. Still, I didn't want to disrupt their lives more than I already had because I simply had no other family that could've taken me in.