Chapter Thirteen

Vote if you enjoy!

We started moving. We trudged through mud and forest, searching for something, though we didn't know what. Our eyes trained on the sky or the ground as we walked, making our way slowly through the dreary autumn countryside. 

The pain in my leg is getting unbearable. That's what you told yourself yesterday, I bite my lip, and you're still walking now. I know I'm falling behind. I know I'm only making my leg worse, but I can't stop, I have to keep going. Harry and Hermione walk up ahead, with Ron trailing behind, and me, slowly limping alone a few metres behind him. I focus on the two dark figures at the head of our group, seeing one of them pass the other a bottle of water, and as Harry sips it Ron's radio flares as the volume is raised. I try to muster a smile, Ron, you jealous fool. 

I frown, the horizon tilting slightly as I squint in the overbearing afternoon sunlight. I think I see the dark shadow of trees a mile or so ahead, and I bite my lip, hoping that perhaps we'll stop there for teh night. I blink, cross my arms and hunching as my leg begins to burn, I feel as though the scar is cracking open. It runs up the side of my leg, all the way to my waist, with another gash healing on my shin. I can almost feel the stinging of my flesh being pulled apart with every footstep.

I frown, the golden line of the horizon seeming almost verticle as my knees and then my face slams into the muddy ground. I close my eyes, feeling a cool rush of relief flood my skin. I don't feel any pain in my face of my hands that caught me, the cold rustling of the grass and the darkness around me slowing my racing heartbeat and bringing everything back into focus. 

"Oi, come here!" 

A voice calls, and I take a breath, pushing myself onto my hands and heaving myself up, seeing Harry and Hermione rush past Ron, who's staring back at me, and kneeling at my side.

"I'm okay, I tripped-" I croak, seeing the concern in Harry's eyes. 

Hermione raises an eyebrow at me, "You're very pale, Harry I think we should-"

Harry turns to her, about to argue, I see anger flare in his eyes, and I push myself up so I am sitting, "I'll be okay for a bit longer." 

I can see Ron shake his head as Hermione and Harry glance at each other, and then stand. 

"Harry, when we get to those trees, we're setting up camp. I don't care what you say." Hermione says sternly, getting to her feet and wrapping an arm under mine. She nods to Harry to do the same on the other side. They haul me to my feet, and the moment weight lands on my leg I feel the dull ache start up again. 

I glance at Harry, smiling weakly, "It's my turn to have the locket." 

He nods, pulling it off and placing it in my hand. I squeeze it, feeling a familiar prodding at the back of my mind as I put the chain around my neck. I watch as Harry and Hermione start walking again, Hermione walks backwards for a moment, giving me an encouraging smile. She then turns and runs after Harry, taking her place next to him at the front of our group. I catch Ron's eye, seeing how pale he is, and he shakes his head.

I grit my teeth, feeling anger swell in my chest as I start to walk, only fueled by the throbbing pain in my leg. 

They don't even offer to help me walk.

I shake my head, clawing at clarity for a moment, and I know, that the raw anger I feel is just because of the locket.

xxx

"You know, mate, you should come back to Hogwarts." 

Blaise glances down at his empty glass and then turns to me, a hand in his left pocket, a pleading look on his face. An honest one.