Chapter Twenty

Vote if you enjoy!

I JUST HIT 1K FOLLOWERS! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I'm gonna do a wattpad related video probably to celebrate

SO

Have any writing questions? Ask here!

I feel everything and nothing. I take a final breath and pull myself down, seeing Harry floating numbly against the ice above. I reach out, grabbing him with screaming hands and pulling him towards me. 

The locket. It's the locket.

It squirms and tightens around his neck, and as my lungs begin to scream I grab onto the pendant, pulling as hard as I can, snapping the chain and watching as Harry goes limp in my arms. I kick back, squeezing the locket in my hand and grabbing onto the edge of the ice. I pull us backwards, one arm under Harry's, the other clinging to ice. 

Finally, I break the surface and the icy air hist my face. I heave him up and splash in the water, trying to hold him up as my leg begins to scream out, protesting against me, and I yell out to ron, which comes out as a choked gurgle. Ron is there immediately, grabing Harry, dragging him across the ice away from me. I feel myself start to sink and I force myself to keep kicking as I throw the locket towards them. My eyes flicker down to something below me, shimmering beneath the water. I falter.

The sword of Gryffindor. 

I take another breath, curling forward and diving down, holding out a hand. My body starts to ache, my skin burning as I lift the sword from the rocks below and kick back up. I throw the sword up onto the ice and start shivering violently as I pull myself out. I stumble back, away from the water, my lungs closing up against the icy air as I take my first real breath of air. 

Someone grabs me, pulling me into a tight embrace that makes my dry lungs want to scream. I press my face into his damp shoulder and let out a strangled cry. I feel euphoric, happier than I've felt in weeks, but so intensely empty and frozen all I want to do is cry. 

"You scared me..."

Harry pulls back, his eyes wide, "I scared you?"

I smile. Ron appears behind him, holing out a bundle of my clothes. I smile, reaching around Harry, who doesn't meet Ron's gaze, and taking them. Shivering, I redress. I can't catch my breath, and I know I look awful. Still shaking, I do up my boots with numb hands. The boys stare at each other. They are so still they could be another pair of trees. They size each other up like two snakes about to bite. 

"Don't be angry at him, Harry, please." I manage, breaking the silence, "He... He kept me safe and he did just save your life. If it were just me... you'd be dead. Honestly." 

Ron takes the opportunity to start fumbling over an overrehearsed apology "I'm sorry, mate I-"

"You bloody better be." Harry snaps, 

I sigh, crossing my arms and pulling the sleeves down over my hands, "He didn't mean to take me with him. That was my fault."

"I really didn't. After I left, all I wanted- We wanted, to do, was come back, but we didn't know how to find you-"

"Hermione's been beside herself," Harry says, "And I- Well, so have I."

"I'm sorry," Ron says quietly, 

Harry takes a deep breath, looking Ron up and down, "I know you are." He glances at the locket that twitches at his feet. I shiver. Harry frowns at me, concerned.