Chapter One ~ Help Wanted

I do not own The Walking Dead or the characters. I also dont own any of the places the people may go. I am just using them to tie it into the story line. The only Characters I own are the ones I make up.

Running. That is all you do in an apocalypse. Yes I said it. I now live with the dead threatening my life. In this new world you need to learn how to protect yourself and others. Many people have lost everyone they love.

I am a special case. I still have one thing that mattered most to me, my little sister. Her twin was lost a week ago with a man from my previous group. She looks a lot like my mom, actually, she is a mirror image of her. She has long blond hair and the brightest blue eyes, the picture of beauty.

I on the other hand, have long brown hair that falls to my mid-back. I have a pretty shade of brown eyes and freckles on my face. I look a lot like my father. Notice how I didn't say dad. He never did anything that welcomed the dad title.

The sound of my sister whining and whimpering brought me back to my senses. I saw a cabin in the distance and picked my sister up off the ground and pushing myself to get there faster. My eyes quickly scanned the building for a door, hoping to get in before the dead caught up to us.

I pulled the thick wooden door out of my way and pushed my sister in before me before pulling the heavy door closed behind me, cutting off the only light source. I pulled out my small gun from the holster around my thigh and started to clear the small cabin. My flashlight clicked on in my other hand and I made quick work of sweeping through the structure.

Once I deemed the building safe, I made my way to the kitchen area and opened the cabinets. The first held over ten boxes of food. The second, held five bottles of water. Finally, the third held a gun and some matches. I pulled off my backpack and packed all the supplies into it.

I checked my gun and made a quick count of how many I had left then tucked it back into place. I walked over to where my sister was sitting and sat next to her, pulling her into my lap, watching as she laid her head down on my shoulder and closed her eyes. I hummed a lullaby and rocked her until I heard her breathing slow. I slid myself onto the floor so I could lay down and pulled her in front of me and let myself fall into a light sleep.

I woke up to my sister stirring beside me. My eyes glanced around the room, falling to a stop on a small hole in the far wall, allowing bright sunlight to filter in. I pulled out my gun and approached it slowly, peeking out to see if the dead from earlier were gone.

I put my gun in my holster and walked back to my sister, sitting beside her. "We need to eat." I said, digging through the bag with food in it. I pulled out an energy bar for each of us and we ate in silence. "We should head somewhere safer, okay?" I look down to see her tossing the wrapper on the ground with a small nod. "Baby, come on, we got to find a safe place." I tell her and she stands up. I take her hand and lead her out the front door, my bag secured over my shoulders.

I had kept a tight hold on her hand as we walked, keeping my eyes open for any possible threat. As we walked, we eventually came across some tracks that I decided looked human. "Sissy? How do you know they aren't the dead?" she asked, her blue eyes holding confusion and wonder.

"Well baby, the tracks aren't like this, look." I took a step how the dead would, dragging my feet slightly to make the mark a bit different. "So, if you are ever lost and you see one of these," I start, pointing to the human track, "Try to follow it. It will bring you to another human and they could help you." She nodded.

After that, we continued walking through the woods, a field of flowers a bit further ahead catching her eyes. She quickly looked to me with pleading eyes and I nodded my head. I watched as she ran ahead and sat down in the flowers, picking at the purple and yellow buds that were blooming brightly in the sun.