Chapter 1

New York City

5 Years Later

                Looking at her reflection in the mirror, Skylar smiled back at herself. Leaving the legacy of her father, Nicholas Montgomery, behind in Georgia, she took a gamble and came to New York to fulfill her dream of becoming a lawyer - not just any lawyer but one of the best. Now she knows she made the right decision. Today was her first day as junior partner at Donaldson, Stevens and Miller. One of the top law firms not only in New York but also in North America. Soon her name will be on the door when she becomes senior partner. Her smile almost illuminated the room. Looking at her watch, she knew she'd better leave her Upper East Side apartment now to catch the train or be late for her new position. That was not an option. Double checking her tote bag for her work shoes and book, grabbing her briefcase, she ran out of her loft apartment, down the stairs to the train station in her best gray suit and sneakers.

                Skylar looked up at the sky. The day was warm and dry. Finally, after a few days of rain she was thankful. Skylar didn't want to look like a wet rat on her first day as a junior partner. She loved repeating that.

                Walking down the street, she quickly dodged the busy people running towards their destinations. It seemed New York City was always on the go and that took some getting used to when she first arrived.

                The noise and the magnitude of people overwhelmed her but now she considered herself a New Yorker. The bright lights and big city. She couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Taking the stairs quickly down to the subway, she took out her Metro card and walked through the turnstile. The air was much thicker and warmer down here. For once, her train was arriving as she approached. Usually, she had to wait for at least five minutes. For others, five minutes was nothing but being underground and squished between thousands of people in this heat, five minutes were like five hours.

                As the doors opened, people were pushing to get out at the same time as people were pushing to get in. It was almost like a dance, as you twist and turn, trying not to get your toes stepped on. The only difference is that this wasn't graceful.

                No seats were available so Skylar held on to the pole in the center of the car, along with eight other people and read her book, keeping her briefcase and tote bag in view. Pickpockets loved the subway, especially when it was rush hour.

                As the train pulled to a stop, Skylar got into the middle of the crowd as they pushed to get off. Running up the stairs, she finally took a cleansing breath. As much as she loved New York, she didn't enjoy the subways in the morning. It was too crowded and hectic.

                Whistling a happy tune, she walked down the street towards Madison Avenue to her office building. Even though she'd been with the firm for five years, today she was as nervous as her first interview with Mr. Donaldson.

                The elevator doors opened as Skylar looked up at the name of the law office. Someday soon Montgomery will be added on, she thought to herself.  She opened the glass doors and walked in. "Good morning, Terry," she said to the newest clerk as she passed her cubicle.

                "Good morning, Ms. Montgomery," was her reply as Skylar continued to walk down the hall to her new office. Another smile came on her face. Her new secretary, Nancy, was sitting at her desk already on the phone.

                "Good morning, Nancy. Please hold my calls for at least five minutes so I can catch my breath."

                "Good morning, Ms. Montgomery. Of course. Just let me know when you are ready."