Chapter 21

She didn't see Matthew when she got home. His apartment was quiet when she put her ear to his door so she walked into hers and waited for him but he never showed. Jamie called her back and told her that her father was not in Georgia or New York. It was like he just disappeared.

Skylar barely slept that night, tossing and turning. Her thoughts kept drifting from her father and Matthew. When morning finally came, she dressed and went to work. Nancy commented on the dark circles under her eyes but Skylar just ignored her and walked into her office. Nancy followed her, giving her her schedule for the day. The morning was busy with a few clients coming in and the afternoon was spent at the courthouse, filing motions, selecting a jury for a small case involving a drunk driving incident.

When she was given a free moment, she went into one of the empty offices, took out her cell phone and called Nancy to see if Nick called. She had some messages from Jonathan but none from her father nor Matthew. In fact, Matthew hadn't gone to work today.

Skylar was in the middle of dialing Matthew's home number when Kyle walked by and spotted her.

He walked into the office while she ended the call. He sat on the edge of the desk looking down at her. "Are you ok?"

Skylar smiled at him. "I'm fine. Just a little tired. I'm thinking of going home now." She put her phone away and stood, reaching for her briefcase. As she tried to pass him, Kyle reached out and caught her elbow.

"Are you sure?" She just nodded her head. "Well, if you want to talk to anyone, I'm always here." His fingers gave her elbow a little squeeze.

Skylar pulled her arm away from him. "I'm fine. I just need to go to my husband now. I'll see you tomorrow." She turned, walked out of the room and out of the courthouse. The nights were getting cooler so she wrapped her jacket tighter around herself as she walked to the train station.

At home, she checked her messages as she began to take off her suit, walking towards the bathroom to shower. After dinner, Skylar tried calling her home at Lyoness.

Elise, the housekeeper, picked up the phone but she hadn't heard from her father. Her mind fluttered away in anxiety. Nick was never one to tell her about his plans but at least Jamie or Elise knew where he was. Elise's voice brought her back to the conversation. She had mentioned something about Jonathan coming by a few days ago. Skylar just dismissed it and said her good byes.

As she sat at her kitchen counter, picking at her dinner, her doorbell rang. It was Jonathan and he was inconsolable. She led him towards the sofa. They talked for awhile, reminiscing about their childhood. Skylar apologized for her hasty marriage to Matthew but she explained how relentless her father was. She was so wrapped up in her apologizes she missed his face contort in anger.

Jonathan composed himself quickly and continued with his sad act. "I just wish you could have given me a chance. I would have made you happy." He offered her a sad smile. "It was your mother's wish."

Skylar stiffened at his remark. "I understand that but it was not my wish."

"Are you happy Skylar?" he asked as he reached for her hand.

She thought about her honeymoon, which brought an immediate flush to her face. "Yes I am." As they talked, Jonathan kept scanning her apartment as if he were looking for something. "Can I get you anything?" Skylar offered.

Again, he gave her a smile making her feel guilty for her rudeness. "No, I'll be fine. By the way, did you receive anything from my father recently?"

She sent him a confusing look. "No, why would I?"

"Oh, no reason. He just told me that he had sent something to me and since he figured we were going to be married soon, I just thought he'd sent it to you."