Chapter 9

Meanwhile back in Texas, Camille just hung up the phone with her doctor in shock. How did she let this happen? She was having such a good time. After her break up with Matthew, she went a little wild and dated a few guys and slept around. She didn't take the breakup too hard. Usually they would break up and a few weeks later they were back together but this time, he was gone. He left Texas and she had no idea where he could be. He was the only one who could help her this time. If she found him, she knew he couldn't resist her and he'd take her back. They were together on and off for so long. He did start acting strange after his trip to Mexico but he eventually snapped out of it and was almost back to his old self.  Her problem now was to find him and get back in his good graces, fast.

                Looking out her bedroom window, she thought who would know where he was. Camille thought about going to his mother's house but changed her mind. Faye never liked her but Sean seemed to.  Maybe if she turned on her charm, she can get him to tell her.

                With a smile on her face, Camille practically skipped out of her house and towards Sean's house.

                Skylar felt like she barely slept when she heard other voices downstairs and outside. The others were already downstairs in the pool by the time she got ready and joined them. She ate a quick breakfast and took a walk on the beach. She hadn't seen Matthew all morning but she did see Kyle. Thank goodness Bobby grabbed him and convinced him to play a game of chess before he could reach her. Skylar just wanted to be alone. She walked towards a big rock that was in the water and sat there.

                Her mind burned with the memory of his kisses and touch. The harder she tried to ignore the truth the more it persisted. She was starting to care a lot about him. Kyle was just a friend and co-worker. She had to force herself to think that all men were not like Nick. Matthew seemed to care about her and wanted to get to know her better. Maybe if she let him in, this relationship could turn out to be something that she's wanted all her life. She always wanted to belong, to feel needed and wanted.  Growing up in Georgia, she was always an outcast. Never included in anything. Matthew was showing her that there is more to life than work. Maybe the perfect world she dreamed up all those years thinking about Mac, she could have with Matthew. She felt a warm glow flow through her. Smiling to herself, she walked back to the house and in search of Matthew.

                The house was empty. She realized that she had missed lunch since the maids were cleaning up.

                "Where is everybody?" Skylar asked one of the maids as she passed by.

                "One of the neighbors invited everyone over to a pool party. That's how it works here. One day here, one day there."

                "Oh." Skylar watched the maid leave and she walked unto the balcony and saw Kyle and Ted in the pool at the house next door. Skylar ran upstairs, changed into her bathing suit and joined the party.

                Around dinnertime, Bobby invited everyone back to his house for another barbecue. Skylar hadn't seen Matthew all day. Kyle was following her like a puppy and all she wanted to do was run and hide. Back at Bobby's house, Skylar spotted Matthew surrounded by a few women.  Her jealousy rose quickly.

                Matthew spotted her immediately and left the piranhas to go to her. He needed to see her and explain about last night. This time she was not getting away as quickly as she did last night.  He found her in the game room, sitting on the sofa with her head in her hands. Her hair was loose and all around her, surrounding her face like a shawl.