Chapter One : Steam

My Loving Hostage

Written by: AfroFiction

Relaxed feelings.

Having these feelings return to me when jamming my house-key into the door freeing myself from the outside world. The fresh air conditioned breeze greeted my welcoming body after a long day of nothing. I just came back from a neighborhood summer mingle party, but I didn't do much mingling as I'm known to be an uninviting spirit who is not known for small talk. It's really hard for me to make friends, but I dust these feelings off by plopping right on my couch to unwind. Being an only child could also be a factor, the only one that comes close is my hard working single mother. Now, here I lie in my living room in a rut all by my lonesome.

Well not totally alone.

I spotted my cat lurking in my dim-lit living room as she hopped on my stomach.

"Hey Miss Charcoal, hey girl, did you miss mommy?" My cat purred in a frenzy when my fingers danced upon her exquisite black fur.

My phone began to buzz, breaking a rather tender moment with my retreating cat. Fishing my phone out of my bag to see what my mom wanted, I knew it was her because sadly she's the only one who texts me.

Peridot, hope you made it home. The new job is awesome btw, they asked me to stay a little while longer so I might see you in a week from today. Money in your account for food, Love You.

Figures. On Summer vacation too. I can't say I did not see this coming, I mean my mom is too good of a nurse for them to let go of. She is just really good at her job. Having the house all to myself and no one to share it with.

This realization tires me. Now with nothing to do, I threw my phone onto the coffee table. In the interest of becoming comfortable, I grabbed a few pillows from the other side of the couch to rest my weary head. After a long night of video games can totally transform you into an insomniac the next day, those relaxed feelings overcame my exhausted body as I drifted off into sleep.

Some Hours Later

KNOCK-KNOCK

Snapping out of my slumber I jerked up to the to the sound of knocking outside of my door. Confused seeing the time is ten-thirty and I was not expecting anything. Wiping the excess saliva off my cheek I trotted to the door.

"I'm coming" I groaned. I stood on the tips of my toes to look through the peephole. In an instant, my anxiety sprung. A girl. With one eye behind a closed door, I gazed upon her kind cerulean eyes. She looks distraught and soaked from the fresh pouring rain outside. I unlocked the door and opened it to reveal myself to her.

My eyes scanned the girl before me. She looks my age but about a foot taller than me. Rocking a pink crop top and blue jeans damped by the rain. I observed the smile she gave me it's the kind of smile that could illuminate the night sky around us.

And, damn, she looks fine.

"Hello, I didn't mean to be a bother dude, but my car broke down not too far from here and my cell phone died and I wondered if I can use your phone to call a toe," she said.

"What...I-uhh..." I spastically blurted out. I could tell my weirdness made her uneasy by the mood switch of her face. So I pulled it together to compose myself, "Sure come in" my arm guided her inside. My sudden awkwardness can be a big turn off at times, I didn't exactly know why I am acting like this. Is it because of her, maybe I crave solo interaction.