Chapter Two: Baby Monitor

Distressed feelings.

I dug myself a hole and jump into it. With my metaphorical shovel, I lie. Cradled with some dirt around me in the earth's core, I lie, still and lifeless.

Life for myself wasn't always so high alert as they say. I passed up a lifetime opportunity to become an Assistant Manager to a high-end candle shop in the mall near downtown. Figures. I wonder how hard it would be to apply for a job now that I am a convicted felon. If they ever ask for my special skills, I would (jokingly of course) tell them: "fleeing the scene without a trace" and smile halfheartedly.

Now, for the time being, I found a girl and taken refuge. With my not so metaphorical gun, I lie. Cradled with fluffy green pillows in a strange girl's bed, I lie, snuggled and cozy.

Sleeping in this strange girl's bed has given me the best sleep ever had in a while. The numerous green pillows under my well rested face felt absolutely wonderful. Waking up, to see if my hostage is still present. She is not. In the corner of right eye assured me that I am not alone, propping up to see a smelly black cat staring deep into my soul.

But no Peridot.

"Peridot!" I yelled. I jerked up from the bed tripping over a well-misplaced book on the floor. Then, my knee banged against her nightstand making my pistol fall, reflexes allowed me to catch it.

"I knew I should have fucking handcuffed that bitch again last night, I'm so stupid" I whispered. Rushing down and throughout her hallway, I heard a commotion downstairs in the kitchen probably. Tip-toeing down the stairs keeping my pistol in front of me, ready for whatever. Making it to the opposite wall, getting a quick peek at whoever is in the kitchen. Nothing could have prepared me for what I have witnessed.

Breakfast.

She didn't notice me in the living room as her back is turned, Peridot is tinkering with pots and pans on her countertop stove. Whatever she is making it smells heavenly, it is causing the insides of my mouth to salivate. I have not had a good home cooked meal in weeks, god bless her heart.

Peridot turned around swiftly and almost jumped out of her apron.

"Jesus, Lapis I didn't know you were up!" Peridot exclaimed.

"Um, Good morning. What are you doing?" I said, with my hands on my hips.

"Making some omelets for us," Peridot said, "They'll be done in a jiffy"

I moved closer to where I stand on the edge of the kitchen floor. I never felt so confused in a while, I barge into her home waving a gun around, then the very next day, she's 'chef-ing' it up for me? I had no choice but to ask.

"Peridot, why are you being so kind to me?" I asked, "I was out like a light, you could've run?" I placed my gun on the countertop.

"You're my guest that would be rude," Peridot said while resuming to her egg flipping. "So tell me Lapis, do you like sharp cheddar on your omelet?" She said with a smile. I sat down at the kitchen table and adjusted my bundled undies for my own comfort.

"Yes, please," I said. What is her deal? Ever since I made my into this place she's just been nothing but pleased for my presence and her admiration really confused me. It seems like she really wants me to stay with her. I look up to study her. She's cooking like she is the head chef of her own french bistro, the very style of her motions flew like a symphony.

Peridot took a small plate from her cupboard accompanied with a pan full of omelet. She brought over to where I sat and placed the food on a plate in front of me. I studied her up close, she wore nothing but an apron and the panties from last night. It surprised me how comfortable she is showing her bare form around me, as much as it did last night, to be honest. I really couldn't complain as I began to love watching her petite figure wiggle around and not to mention I'm still in my underwear too.