Chapter 4

"I thought you said she was single." Bram stated. We were sitting on the couch, well, Bram and Val were. I was 'sleeping' with my head in Val's lap and my feet in Bram's.

"She is. Nikko and Fee are friends. Best friends actually." Val said, stroking my hair. "She's a single pringle." Oh. My. God. He did not just say that.

"So do you think you'd be mad if I asked her out in the future?" Bram asked. They were playing GTA 4, and by the sounds of it, they're playing it in two player mode.

Val chuckled softly. "She's not the dating type, Bram."

"So what type is she?" Bram asked. I knew that he had this sort of crush on me, but I didn't want to hurt him. I just can't reciprocate his feelings.

"The type that can't love." Val replied. I knew he hated talking about that. He absolutely hated our mother, since she's the reason I'm so depressed and the reason I cut. He's always been my safety blanket, my go to person, after dad, of course.

"What do you mean?" Bram asked. "Everyone loves."

"Ophelia was crushed by our mother when we were young. She caught her cheating on our father with her new husband shortly after our mother told Fee that you're only meant to fall in love once." Val said through clenched teeth. "She doesn't believe in love because the person she loved broke her heart. She doesn't date so she can't break other's hearts. She would like to minimizes the casualties."

"Really? So she'll never, like, settle down in ten years?" Bram asked.

"Oh no, she will. She and Nikko said that if neither of them found someone who could deal with their shit, they would marry each other. In her own way, she loves him, but not in the love my father had for my mother. She could never give part of her heart to him. That's still under lock and key."

"Maybe she just hasn't found the right person yet." Bram muttered quietly. Val snorted.

"Yeah, Prince Charming, let's get back to the game or we'll grow a set of ovaries." Val said sarcastically.

*

*

*

I woke up smooshed between two solid forms. Normally, I would wonder if Nikko and I got drunk and fell asleep with his roommate, but those two don't snore like drunk hippo's. I opened my eyes slowly and moved my hands up to flick Bram and Valentine in the jugulars. As soon as I did, I launched myself up and ran out of the room or I would be in deep shit.

"Ophelia Fucking Bello, I will kill your skinny ass!" Val yelled as he chased me throughout the apartment. "Bram, cut her off!" He yelled to our friend. I made the mistake of looking behind me and squealed. Bram was so close that he could grab my shirt and pull me to him. He smirked at me and sped up to match my stride.

"Bram, don't!" I yelled as I ran into Val's room. "Bram Stomes, I will hurt you!" I threatened as he cornered me. Bram Stoker Stomes smirked as he pressed me up against a wall and grazed his lips over my jaw line.

"I don't think so." He whispered, bringing his hands to my hips and began tickling me mercilessly. "Stop!" I squealed, attempting in vain to push his hands away.

"Only if you promise me something." He said, looking me in the eyes. Oh shit, he was being serious. I nodded my head and kept my eyes on his. "Go out with me tonight." I bit my lip. Was he seriously trying to fix me?

"Bram.." I trailed, looking down now. I didn't want to break his heart. "Please, Ophelia? You said you would."

"Okay." I whispered. "But one date. Then we're back to friends." Bram smirked and kissed my forehead. "Fee, you'll be singing a different song after tonight."