Chapter 4 ~ The Arguments

Third Person - Max Hughes (Hughes) P.O.V

The eye catching scenery was proven to be distracting to those who look... proven by Reedie and Tay more specifically. The two appeared to be falling behind their eldest friend; their feet dragging across the ground with their mouths hanging wide open as they took in the magnificent views of the woods. The sequoia trees were huge, they immediately caught the attention of Tay and Reedie. And it seemed liked the woods had gone on for miles and miles.

Hughes paused every few steps to pick up small logs and sticks that could be used to create a fire. He also collected sharper sticks to help catch food, if there were any. Along the way, Hughes noticed that the footsteps of his younger friends started to become distant to what they were at the start of their hike. Hughes stopped where he was and looked back to where the boys were, and boy where they further away then he thought. The pair were at least a good twenty-thirty metres behind him. In frustration, Hughes dropped his logs and sticks, Hughes then pulled at the hair on his head and sighed quite loudly. This gained their attention.

"What's wrong Hughes? Oh, you've dropped all your logs and sticks. Here let me help you," Reedie said as he bent down to pick up the much needed materials.

"No wait! Allow me to help with the logs, you two can share the load of sticks," said Tay as he jokingly shoved Reedie, causing more trouble. Once Reedie was able to regain his posture, he glared at the boy and began to chase after him, only running in continuous circles, making Hughes only more irritated and annoyed.

"Boys... stop this!" yelled Hughes, making the pair pause in their place, "Please try to maintain whatever focusing abilities you have on what we are trying to do, we are no longer in the comfort of our homes... we are in the middle of the fucking woods, who knows what dangers are lurking around, and with you two... you two are only going to attract whatever dangers there are, putting us all at risk," Hughes snapped, frustration and loss of patience leaking out of every word that he was saying.

"Especially you Tay! You do not have basic knowledge of life skills. So I beg of you, just this one time, be considerate and helpful. Put in your share of the work, be responsible for the time we are here. Do help Reedie and me and do not distract us, understood?"

Tay said nothing in response, instead he looked towards the browny orange coloured leaves on the ground. The word burden was never mentioned amongst the seven friends,  they were extremely close, but Tay just felt as if the word hadn't needed to be said in this situation. He felt like he was a burden to the rest of them. Though he was probably over thinking it like he always does.

Hughes didn't have to say anything more, Tay could easily tell that Hughes was not at all pleased with the way they were behaving. Hughes was more disappointed at the fact that neither of them had focused their attention on more important matters. In situations such as this, Tay had always searched for help or comfort in his older friends, preferably Reedie though. But looking up towards both Reedie, he could tell that the stress floating in the air around them had gotten to him as well; he was just as scared and unsure as he was. Without a word to speak, he looked towards the ground once more, not daring to make eye contact with his now angered friend. 

"You guys are adults," Hughes said as he bent down to pick up the remaining pieces, "Do act like one... for all of us... you are aware of the position and situation we are in, now is definitely not the time act immature and irresponsible."

And with that being said, Hughes had taken off down the newly created track and back to where the others were waiting, leaving the two to dwell in sadness and despair.

"We should umm... we should probably head off with... *sigh* with Hughes," commented Reedie, as he patted the Youngers back and started walking after Hughes.

Tay stared at the boy in utter amazement. He thought that he would at least comfort him, but apparently not. Tay turned around and followed behind his friends, keeping his distance. The sound of the leaves and sticks crunching under the pressure of the boys feet was the only thing that was comforting him at this moment, he hung his head low and continued walking on his own. Deciding to make a slow journey back to where the camp is supposed to be located, he thought about what he might say to Hughes... for letting him down, not only now, but on multiple occasions.

A loud sigh escaped Tay's lips. He was thinking of how tiresome it is to be constantly putting up with Hughes nonsense and logical responses. I mean, the trouble that Hughe causes is never something that is to big of an issue, it wasn't like he was considered an annoyance by any of the group members either. It was more like a minor issue or a small detail in life that has been shaken. He picked each problem so easily, it was a problem itself. Everything Hughes had found irritating, had turned into an argument with someone in the group, no matter how little or how large the problem was it had always founds its way into a conversation.

Hughes, being the eldest, couldn't help but worry for the younger kids, he wants to take care of them and make sure they feel comfortable with all the activities they do. But at the same time, Hughes wants them to be a little more independent every now and again, that's why the scene before got a little heated.

Hughes was the only one doing the job while the other two were stumbling and fumbling around, gawking at trees and small creatures that were passing by. The feeling of guilt and sadness had eventually sunk in at the fact that he was not contributing to the must needed work, it was also upsetting that the arguments between the two never stopped, but I guess it was up to them whether or not the arguments continued or stopped. But it wasn't always the arguments and disputes that the two shared that had made him upset, it was more like the points in the arguments... it had seemed like they were always directed to him.