Chapter 8 ~ The Help

Third Person - Noah Reid (Reedie) P.O.V

Four Days.

96 hours.

5760 minutes.

So many seconds.

The days seemed to move along so quickly, but that doesn't mean the boys had given up on their plan of escape. They decided it would be best to continue to move instead of staying in the one spot. It was seen as an easier solution, thinking if they move from one place to another they could pick up more clues that could lead them back to civilisation, but unfortunately they haven't found anything. They continued to do what they had started to do at the first campsite, splitting into groups to find food and water and to gather fire wood, although already having enough firewood.

The two boys, Reedie and Nate, were kept back by Miles to help contribute to the hard work of rearranging the firewood. But being sleep deprived and starved wasn't really a good match with the hard laboured job they were set to do, they were constantly drifting in and out of reality, not focusing on the task at hand.

While moving back and forth from the pile to their awaiting leader, Miles, Reedie had been getting distracted by one of the many sequoia trees. Slowing his pace, stopping what he was doing, and dropping all the logs he was holding in his hands, he had fully focused his attention on the sequoia tree that was just metres ahead of him. Something was different about this particular tree, it looked like there was something on it, other than leaves of course. Without asking or waiting for any unnecessary comments made by the two confused and puzzled boys, he had quickly dashed over to the tree, stumbling a little due to his body weakening.

"Reedie! Get back here!" yelled Miles, hoping it would reach the boy, but it didn't. Reedie had ignored the cries of Miles and continued walking towards the tree.

As Reedie had gotten closer to the large tree, he had noticed the strange details that were carved into it.

"What in the world?" questioned Reedie as he pranced the rest of the way over, soon tracing his hands over the strange yet detailed wording that was carved into the tree.

"Reedie? What are you doing here?" Reedies head immediately flipped around, meeting the confused gaze of Hughes.

"Ah Hughes! Oh I was just admiring this tree, thats all," stated Reedie, focusing his attention back to the tree.

"Why? What's so special about it?" emerged Tay, pushing and shoving away Moe and Hughes to get a clearer view.

The three boys that had returned from finding food had stood and stared at the tree, wanting to see what Reedie had seen, but only faint markings could be seen scattered across the trunk of the tree, nothing more. Confusion was plain to see on the boys faces, all but Reedies of course. It was like only Reedie could see the specific carvings, only he could see the detailed markings. In his eyes, it was like a showcase of words which could be played off as small clues, depending if you are able to perfectly read out the strange carvings.

"Don't you see it? It's clear to see what the carvings are and what they mean, how don't you see it," argued Reedie, tracing further up the tree.

They all stared at him, not saying a single word. It's as if the boy had gone bonkers, he's lost his mind.

"Reedie... what are you going on about? There's nothing there," replied Hughes, confusion and tiredness filling his voice.

"Please believe me on this Hughes. You and the others have contributed your hard work by finding food and firewood. I want to show you, Miles and the rest of the gang what I can actually do, maybe not my hard work but my ideas," he pleaded, "I can see something on this tree that could help us, we can't ignore it, Hughes."

Again, nothing. They hadn't said a single word to each other, they hadn't shared any glances, they hadn't rejected the boys wishes and they hadn't heard enough of they boys idea to turn him down. After a while of thinking, Hughes had turned to the rest of the gang as well as glancing towards Nate and Miles, wanting to know if they should trust the young boy in front of him. Hughes had gripped his hair while looking towards the ground, a heavy sigh leaving his mouth. He looked up towards the young lad, giving him a brief nod in understanding his wishes. He wanted to continue with whatever plan Reedie had, he wanted to see where it would take them... if it had to do with getting them out of the woods, he would consider any idea.

Reedie had excitement written all over is face, celebrating quietly while looking at the lost faces in front of him.

"Will you explain to us what you are seeing, what the carvings mean Reedie?" questioned Moe as he slowly moved towards the excited boy.

"You still don't see it? It's a clue, a clue to get home!" bellowed the boy, "What I'm seeing are multiple lines, lines that show where we had started to where we are now."

"How will that help us?! That has shown us our journey so far you nut?!" roared Tay, anger slowly taking over his usual happy and bubbly self.

"Tay, you need to look more into it. It doesn't just show us where we have been, but it showing us the direction we have come from," Reedie say, running his hands along the carvings once more, "It is also pointing in the direction we must go."

Once finishing explaining what he had seen within the carvings, Reedie had directed his attention to the rest of the boys who had soo surrounded him, including Nate and Miles.

"Reedie, do you have your phone on you?" questioned Miles.

"Yes! Why? It's almost out of battery though, is what you want me to use it for important?"

"Very, take a photo of it!"

"...Ok..."

Not being aware of their surroundings or the time of day, darkness had started to consume them as well as the tree they were so focused on. Miles coming back to reality and where they were, he had hurried the kids, and Hughes, back to the camp sight to rest their heads until morning, in which they will leave to find their way back.

One hint, One trip, Thats it.