C H A P T E R 1 2

The drive to Blue's house was practically silent. I was still incredibly flustered, and my mind kept replaying the events in my head. What was he doing? Why did he get so close to my face? Was he gonna... no, not possible. Why did that thought even cross my mind?! He's just here to help us find Chara. This isn't some cliche love story on the internet. I glanced up at Ink, who was dramatically staring out the window as some light rain dripped down the window. I snickered quietly and turned on a dramatic piano song. He looked over at me, confused.

"It's raining and you're dramatically staring out the window. It seemed fitting." smiling, I reached over and poked his side. "Yah dork."

He huffed and crossed his arms, sticking his tongue out. "I'm not a dork! You are!"

"No, I'm a weeb. There's a difference."

"Whatever."

Laughing at my victory, I focused back on the road to see we weren't near Blue's house, but instead by a little park. I shrugged to myself and parked.

"Mind a little stop?"

"Sure but... why?"

I shrugged again. Getting out, I pulled my hood up to try and stop my hair from getting wet. He followed, untying his hoodie from his waist and holding it over me. I looked up, then at him, tilting my head. He smiled gently, and we started to walk, me moving a bit closer as to stay under the cover. After a bit, we stopped under a little pavillion thing and he put the jacket on the little bench there. Pushing it aside, I sat down. He sat down next to me, staring up at the sky.

"The surface is so beautiful. I feel like some humans take it for granted... and monsters did too, before getting trapped underground." I listened to him ramble intently, smiling a little. "Not all humans though, there are some that can understand and see the true beauty of it." As he said that, he looked over at me, his eyes shining with passion.

"We really are so lucky to live in a place like this... that's why I paint it so often. It's beautiful."

His hand started to lift towards my face, but he pulled it away. My head tilted a little and he shook his head.

"You remember how you said you don't have a soul?"

"Yeeeah? What about it?"

"Well.... I don't have a soul either. Which is... very unusual for monsters, since their bodies and magic need the soul to be stable."

"Oh?"

"Most monsters can't survive without a soul. Their bodies will dust, as we call it. Humans are a lot stronger, probably why you're still here. But the soul also creates emotion, for monsters at least."

"Sooo since you don't have a soul, you can't feel?"

"Technically, no. However, these vials," he motioned to the sash across his chest. "Contain liquid creativity. Drinking a little bit of them helps me pretend like I have emotions."

"Have you ever felt anything without them?" I don't know why I was curious about it, obviously the answer would be no. He said himself, the soul is what causes monsters to feel.

"Well.... No, not really." for some reason, that answer still upset me slightly. I shook off the feeling, intently listening to him tell me.

"I guess it's kinda weird, huh. My feelings are artificial." my head tilted.

"I mean... emotions are weird, but it makes some sense. They may be artificial, but they get the job done. If you didn't have emotion you wouldn't be the protector of AU's." I smiled at him, but he looked away.

"Can I... tell you something?"

"Go for it."

"There are times... times I feel like I'm lying to everyone. Times where I think I shouldn't be the protector of the multiverse because it's fake. If my vials run out, I become a shell. I'm empty, and someone like Error could use that. It's so dangerous, and even though I wouldn't ever want to tell anyone, I'm scared. I mean, how would people feel knowing the one protecting them from threats was scared." he laughed, but it was fake.

My gaze softened "Ink, it's okay to be scared. Fear is what keeps you going. It's what makes you even more qualified to be the protector. Everyone is afraid of something. It's what makes us human- err- monster too I guess," He snickered a bit. "ANYWAYS. My point is that it's okay to be afraid, but you're one of the bravest people I know. I feel like you can do anything you put your mind to."

Ink smiled a bit as I was talking. I looked up, watching the clouds starting to disperse and the rain drizzling to a stop. Ink looked too, resting his head on my shoulder.

"Hey y/n?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks.

A/n: LOOK THIS BOOK ISN'T DEAD. Sorry I literally fell off the planet for like a year I've been suuuper busy. But y'know I'm back. And while I can't promise I'll have a regular update schedule, I do plan on finishing this story. 

P.S: Thank you guys so much for over 5k reads! I wasn't expecting this story to do as well as it has and that's really motivated me to continue!