Chapter 25 - Lie To Me

“Your Majesty,” a court messenger greeted, bowing lowly, his breath coming in rapid pants as he straightened himself. “A letter from Mr. Jacquard,” he straightened, and presented the silver tray on which a plain envelope, unadorned except for the handwritten address laid.

“W-who?” I started, almost spilling my tea onto the lace tablecloth. Stealing a worried glance at Queen Katerina – who was watching most intently – I gingerly took the proffered letter, silently cursing the court messenger for having chosen the most inopportune moment to hand it to me.

“Thank you,” I nodded at the man, and quickly slipped the envelope into my pockets before the queen could notice how my hands trembled.

“Why, Giselle, aren’t you going to read it?” Queen Katerina predictably asked, her eyebrows raised slightly in confusion.

“I’ll save it for later. It’s nothing important, just an old friend of mine,” I smiled, shrugging lightly before once more picking up my tea.

“Well go ahead, and read it! We still have a lot of time before the men return,” she urged, nodding her head towards the far away woods where Father, King Alekzander and Sergei were out deer hunting.

Bearing in mind that it lacked any sort of official seal and that it had been audaciously, personally addressed to me, made the fact that the letter had successfully reached the inner palace most astonishing. For it to be handed to me on a silver platter, literally, despite of the lack of rank the name bore, is groundbreaking. The queen must have noticed this and is now curious about the letter.

“If you insist,” I smiled, trying not to let my nervousness show. Avoiding her owl-like gaze, I took out the envelope and gingerly pried its flap open, once more cursing the men for going on such a barbaric sport and leaving me alone with the queen, who just happens to be one of the most perceptive woman I’ve ever met.

Dear Giselle,

You never replied to my first letter. Are you mad at me? I’m guessing you are a bit mad, aren’t you? I’m sorry we parted this way without a proper apology, and that rushed letter was a vastly inadequate substitute. And please do forgive your father, I can already imagine the tantrum you threw after you found out.

I’m happy here at Rivendell. My family is doing well too. Mother enjoys the change of scenery; you know how she hates all that grime in the city, though I think she’s secretly happiest about not having to do anyone’s laundry anymore. She had set up our little cottage most wonderfully. My little brothers, Pierre and Jacques are naturals with the horses; though little Marie has to stay indoors because of her straw allergy. Poor baby. So we got her a pet duckling instead. It follows her everywhere now, even to bed!

The horses your father provided us are outstanding. The foals would fetch high prices once they are trained. We have one alpha stallion, four mares– one of which is already with foal - and a high-spirited yearling that reminds me of a young Storm. Thank your father for me, Gi. I still miss the horses at the Royal Stables though. I bet Storm is kicking up a fuss without me there. Check up on him for me, will you? Please? He likes you. Tell the lads there I said hello too, and tell ol’ Gibs that he can have my old uniform. I would’ve sent Keegan a letter too if that rascal could read properly.