USW 2

They watched the first Kingsman movie that evening. Harry knew he would cry if they watched a rom-com and he really didn't feel like watching other people fall in love on screen while the unrequired love of his life was sitting right next to him. It was a smart pick, something neutral, funny, a film they hadn't seen together before. Zayn laughed, Harry did too, everything was nice and simple. Stitch spent most of it dozing off on the couch between them.

            Zayn left a little before midnight, thanked Harry for letting him and Stitch come over for maybe the 50th time and left Harry alone in his flat with a pounding heart and confusing thoughts. But Harry still felt like that night was a success since he didn't do anything stupid like try to cuddle or actually listen to his wine-drunk brain and attempt to kiss Zayn, so everything worked out in the end.

            His muddled thoughts weren't the only problem Harry had to deal with. Because he doesn't think with his head, not even with his dick, Harry thinks with his stupid heart and somehow, he had decided to go to LA. Where he didn't have a house. And not only that, he also had to move his rehearsals from London to LA, at least to some extent because he didn't want to drag everyone somewhere they weren't necessarily needed.

            He solved almost everything the next day. His accommodation problem was quick fix – all Harry had to do was call Ben Winston and ask him if he could stay at his house for a week or two. Thankfully, Ben agreed without questioning Harry about what did he fuck up this time. Either way, at least he'll get to see Ruby a bit more. He's her godfather after all.

            Jeff wasn't as simple as Ben. He was understandably mad at Harry, complained about Harry's love life, 'which is almost non-existent and yet it's the thing that fucks everything up', but when he saw how stubborn Harry was about going to LA, he sighed and let Harry come to London a week later. He wasn't so nice when Harry told him he needed a place to rehearse at in LA, but did he have a choice?

            Not even a week later, Zayn broke up with Gigi. He did it on Valentine's day after he and Gigi had woken up and both felt like not celebrating the holiday. It had been, to quote Zayn, 'a walk in a park' and neither of them had even slightly raised their voices. Stitch stays with Zayn, much to Harry's pleasure because he'd very much like to see the dog again. Zayn recounted the entire story to Harry the morning after Valentine's day over breakfast and coffee. He also moved back to LA by the end of the week.

            And that's why Harry found himself in Ben Winston's spare bedroom not even two full days after Zayn's plane had taken off from JFK.

+

            A few days later, Harry's actually rehearsing. With just Mitch and a few tech guys around, it's more like hanging out in an empty theatre. Yup, theatre. Jeff really outdid himself this time. He justified it by claiming that Harry needs to rehearse properly if his 'ass isn't going to do it with the band, at least do it in some kind of a venue'. So Harry spent the better part of today in a theatre singing a bit, but mostly just hanging around with Mitch, strumming along on their guitars.

            "H, I have to go in a bit," Mitch says at around three o'clock.

            "Fine, yeah," Harry nods and pulls out his phone. He feels like staying for a bit, but being here alone has no point really. He texts Zayn, something he finds himself doing more and more each day. It has started to feel natural, intuitive almost. Every time he sees something funny or is bored and feels like going out, Harry texts Zayn. Ben has been making fun of him while also being concerned in the same way Nick has told him 'you two are gonna bang and then you'll spend another three years crying over him'. Harry just ignores them. Sure, they're worried but Harry isn't and how they feel doesn't really matter. It's like Harry's trying to catch up all the time they've lost, cram hours upon hours of time with Zayn into each day. He's clingy but Zayn hasn't complained so far so Harry doesn't see a reason to stop. Why should he? He missed Zayn so much for three long years that his heart was just a ghost of what it used to be. Now he doesn't have to.