Here comes the sun - 1

January 7th 1960
————————

"Cheer up, love." Mr Riley said to his young daughter, "you'll barely even remember home in a couple weeks."

"Doubt it." The fifteen year old muttered under her breath.

Mrs Riley was in the kitchen, unpacking cooking equipment when she said, "I'm gonna go introduce myself to some of the neighbours." She looked up towards her daughter, "Finn, you'll be coming with me."

"Will I fuck."

"You better watch your language, young lady!" Her mother exclaimed whilst her father was chuckling in the front room, not at all shocked by his daughters language, whilst sorting pillows out for their new sofa.

Their new house was smaller than their old home in Blackburn. To Finn, this new house also seemed to be the smallest one on the avenue.

Mr Jack Riley had a received a demotion from the plumbing company he worked for, he was now a receptionist at their small building in Liverpool - hence the move, it wasn't ideal for a 37 year old man with a wife and daughter at home, but they'd learn to manage.

Mrs Emily Riley was a house wife, she didn't mind this though, from a young age she'd always sought out the domestic life with a husband.

Finn Riley was nothing like her mother or father, she'd taken a keen interest in the arts, she'd spend what little pocket money she'd get for doing chores on magazines to see all the different pictures in them. She'd also taken a liking to the movie theatre, opting to go on her own most weekends.

The Riley's weren't the most academically smart people - not to say that they were stupid either, Finn had actually passed one of the Liverpool 11+ exams and was set to start at a grammar school in the following week which exited the three of them.

"Come on, Finn!" Mrs Riley said putting her gloves on.

Finn slipped her new Mary Jane school shoes on as quickly as she could, attempting to break them in before school started. She was wanting to get this whole thing over and done with quickly.

The plan wasn't to knock on every door, just the necessary ones, next door on both sides and across the street.

The first house they went to was the one attached to their own, an elderly man with a walking stick answered with a grumpy face, he told them next time we should come with biscuits, what a dickhead.

The second house was on the opposite side of their own, a young mother answered the door, she hand two children glued to each hip, she looked as though she hadn't slept for days, I must ask if she needs a babysitter, Finn thought. Emily Riley tried to make pleasant conversation but this seemed a difficult task when the young mother ran off to a different part of the house where a toddlers yelling could be heard.

The third, and final house, was the one across the street. A middle aged woman, assumed to be around the same age as Emily Riley, answered. The woman had dark brown hair and wrinkled skin.

"Yes?" She asked impatiently, you could hear the soft sound of classical music playing in the background, oh god I hope mum doesn't hear that... Finn sighed.

"Hello, we've just moved in across the road" Mrs Riley says before furrowing her brows for a moment "Is that Bach playing?" Mrs Riley asked, for fucks sake.

Eyebrows raised as the lady stood up straighter taking in the both of their appearances, "why of course it is," she turned back looking into the house for a moment, "you listen to him?"