Chapter 12

When Katie tried to end the kiss Happy just held her tighter. She yelped, his arm right over her wound, and her legs gave out beneath her. Her cries startled Happy into loosening his grip as he helped get her to the couch.

"Hey," Angel spoke softly as he brushed her hair from her face. "You okay?"

"It fucking hurts," she whimpered.

"I'm sorry," Happy said quickly as he held her hand.

Angel glared at Happy. "Why don't you give her some space, she's sweating, she needs some fucking air."

"Stop," she chided him weakly.

"Angel," EZ called out from the kitchen. "Bish needs you."

"Not now," he said without even looking in his brother's direction.

"Now," EZ said firmly. "Galindo shit."

Angel growled. "Pew or Templo?"

"Pew," EZ said somberly. "Then Templo."

Closing his eyes, Angel kissed her forehead and whispered to her. "I'm sorry, mi dulce."

"It's okay," she stroked his cheek. "You have to go."

"EZ's gonna stay," he said. "Okay?"

"Okay," she smiled. "Be careful."

It stung to hear her speaking so sweetly and saying such sweet things to Angel, things he was used to her saying to him for years and years. It sent Happy into a tailspin.

"You wanna stay down here with him?" Happy asked her in a guttural tone of voice. "You don't wanna come back, fine."

"Are you kidding me?" Angel stood up, towering over Happy now. "Let her fucking heal before you start this bullshit."

"I was talking to my wife," Happy said, standing straight again.

"Is she still your wife?" He asked, his head slowly tilting to one side.

"Would you both fucking stop," she groaned from the couch. "Shit, you're both acting like a couple of children. Angel, go, Happy, sit," she spoke with authority despite her voice being so weak.

They kept staring at one another waiting for the other to follow Katie's orders. When Angel took the first step Happy laughed at him and Katie knew what was next. Angel threw a solid punch, throwing Happy back against the wall, and grabbed his throat while kicking him twice in the gut.

"EZ," Katie hollered.

EZ quickly grabbed his brother and got him out the door and Katie looked at the floor to see Happy attempting to catch his breath after the blows.

"Fuck you," Angel shouted at the door.

"Fuck you," Happy hollered, pounding on the window.

Katie rolled her eyes. "You okay?" She asked him.

"Yeah," he coughed. "He's a fucking pussy."

Katie shrugged. "I love him."

"Yeah, well, fuck you too," Happy grumbled.

"You want more lies? After a fucking year I just want to be totally honest," she sat up and pat the spot beside her. "Sit."

Happy did as she asked. "I'm sorry I hurt you."

"It's okay," she assured him. "I love him but I love you too."

"Okay," he nodded. "Angel killed Ryan," he sighed. "I wanted to kill him."

"I know you did, I did too," she told him. "He was fucking awful, Hap."

"I should have killed him when I found out about Jax," Happy took her hand in his and squeezed it. "I shoulda killed Jax."

"Hap," she inhaled sharply. "That's not something you say out loud."

"This is Jax's fault, all of this shit," he growled. "When you were gone all I wanted to do was rip his goddamn head off."

"Baby," she whispered. "It's okay."

"It's not," he snapped. "I still wanna take you outta Cali, up north, away from Jax and these assholes."

"I know you're angry but the Mayans, Hap, they kept me alive and they found Charlotte."

"They lied to my goddamn face."

"If you were him would you have done any different? We weren't sure if you thought I was a rat or if the Irish were still looking for me, Angel was protecting me."

"Yeah," he huffed.

"You have to understand, you can't pretend we haven't suffered more than our fair share of trauma when we were together, because of that town and because of your club."

"I know," he said sadly. "I fucked up a lot but I love you. You're the only woman I ever fucking loved, Katie. Come home with me," he whimpered. "Please. Just come home. We'll figure it out in our house, with our boys, together."

Katie didn't answer him. "Happy," she sighed.

"Don't say you got a life here. You been here a year, Katie. That's nothing."

"I like it here, there's nothing weighing me down, nothing hurting me."

"Nothing's gonna hurt you up north."

"I need to heal," she said suddenly. "I'm in pain, Hap. A lot of fucking pain. I need sleep and pills."

"Okay," he relented.

"I love you," she sniffled. "I do but after everything," she shook her head.

Happy let go of her hand and stood up. "I'm gonna go talk to Jax."

"Hap," she sighed. "What does that mean?"

"It means I've been holding shit in for a year, trying to focus on bringing you home. I found you now, so I got some shit to handle."

Katie closed her eyes and laid back down. "Be careful and do not kill him."