Chapter 19

*Weekend shortie! Enjoy, vote and comment pleaseeee!*

Katie did not want to be there when Tara arrived. She wanted so little to do with the club that even seeing the woman who was once her best friend was too much. She was sitting there at the table only because she knew Happy needed her as his partner and for support through the entire thing. Their plan was for the good of the club but it still hurt Happy deeply.

"What did Angel tell you?" Tara asked when they all finally moved away from promises and assurances to the real topic of interest.

With a shrug, Katie replied, "Not much. I'm not his old lady and he knows how I feel about getting involved. He told me Jax was in Santo Padre longer than necessary and that he met with a few people that have business across the border."

"I know you know," Happy grumbled. "I know you know something."

"I'm a little conflicted right now," Tara said angrily. "And I think you saw an opportunity to use me against my husband," she said looking at Happy.

"Do you really need a reason to be pissed at him?" Katie asked her. "Christ Tara, look who he is and how he's changed."

"I don't need you to tell me who I married," she spat.

Katie nodded and pursed her lips.

"He told me he wanted to get out, take you and the boys and get outta here," Happy told her. "Jax said that shit over and over," he huffed. "You're still here."

"So are you," she said defensively.

"I'm not the wife begging for a change," Katie reminded Tara. "Jax is a good man, he had potential to be one, but this town and that gavel ruined him. You know that. He knows that."

"I'm not a rat," she snapped.

"No one is asking you to rat," Happy grumbled. "We want to know what he did behind the club's back."

"He was looking for a new opportunity for SAMCRO," she admitted.

"Drugs or guns?" Happy asked her.

Tara shrugged. "I don't know."

"He make any deals?"

"I don't know."

"He tell you to keep it away from the club?"

Tara hesitated. "He said he wasn't ready to bring it to a vote, wasn't sure if the details or how to really sell it."

"Miguel Galindo," Katie said ominously. "Know the name?"

"I've heard it," Tara huffed. Katie felt her phone buzz and quickly got up front the table, annoyed, and left the kitchen. "Did something new happen I'm not aware of?"

"Jax is being Jax," Happy said. "Trying to hold shit over Katie's head."

"What shit?"

Happy didn't know if Tara knew about Katie and Jax having sex and he wasn't about to use that to force her hand. "Some bullshit about when she was gone."

"Why won't he stop hurting people?" She started to cry. "He's become this...monster."

Returning, Katie sat down and looked Tara in the eyes. "You want Jax to leave? This is how you do it."

"I can't do that to him," Tara said to Katie. "Would you do that to Happy? Even after everything would you really go to Jax and tell him the secrets you know could hurt him?"

"I wouldn't," Katie admitted. "I'd protect him."

"Exactly," Tara sighed. "I'm sorry. I can't help you."

"Angel said it was guns," Katie announced. "They need a secret supplier, shit with the DOJ, and Jax met with Miguel. There might be a drug component but if there is the Mayans aren't in on it."

Tara closed her eyes slowly and buried her face in her hands.

"He agree or did they just talk?" Happy asked her.

Katie looked at Happy, "He agreed. It's a done deal."