➵ 1.2 - jade

After school, Jade locked herself in Ashton's room for three hours and just did her homework. Not even Ashton was allowed in. She knew she was being bitchy, but Ashton didn't push it and let her have her space. There was a lot of Calculus and Chemistry work to do, as well as a writing piece for English that was due in a few days. Three hours later, Ashton knocked on the door and asked if he could come in. Jade found it funny that he was asking permission to enter his own room.bHe walked in and a tiny Bengal kitten followed him. "Hey, I wanted to go see Beth real quick. You gonna be okay?"

Jade closed her book and pushed back her hair. "When am I not okay?"

"A lot of times. You just don't show it," Ashton said as he picked up the kitten. Sandra had two of them, almost identical, and Jade still had some trouble telling them apart.

"Which one's this?" she asked and stroked the little fur ball behind the ear.

"This is Nola," Ashton smiled and put the kitten in Jade's lap. "And she's going to keep you company while I'm gone."

Nola squirmed in Jade's grasp and climbed up her torso, nuzzling Jade's neck. "I'm good," Jade said, laughing just a little. "I'll just go out again and clear my mind. It was nice yesterday." Mainly because Michael hadn't shown up. She held out Nola for Ashton. "Take your friend."

Ashton laughed and took the kitten. "C'mon, little guy, Jade has a cold, cold heart. I still love you." He put Nola down, who quickly made her way under the bed. Jade patted Ashton's shoulder once. "Good luck getting her out. I'll see you in a bit." Ashton groaned and bent down, trying to bring Nola out. Jade walked outside and found Sandra looking through some thick book. "Hey, I'm going out for a bit. I'll be back soon," Jade told her.

"Okay," Sandra smiled. "Do you want something to eat or drink?"

"No, I'm pretty full," Jade said, but then reconsidered. She felt bad about always telling Sandra no. "But I'll just grab a water bottle, if that's okay."

"Of course, it is, honey. Help yourself." Sandra was so nice. It was a shame she didn't have any kids of her own because she would've made a damn good mother. She already treated Ashton and Harry like a real mother would.

*•*•*

Jade found that one tree that provided the best shade because today the sun was being a bitch and shining like a fucking blow torch in her face. She had finished the water bottle, Ashton's sunglasses covered her eyes, and there was mint gum in her mouth. She was leaning back against the tree with her eyes closed, just thinking about everything, though she had no idea what that everything was.

But one thing on her mind was that phone number that her mother had left her. She was still debating whether or not she wanted to call it. She didn't want to, but she felt like maybe she should. Just to tell Meredith that her sister was dead. Jade was a cold hearted bitch, wasn't she? Oh well. Plus, she needed to see whatever was in the envelope. So she had to decide soon.

There was some rustling of leaves, but Jade didn't bother looking to see what it was. Or who. It was Michael, obviously. The guy just didn't get the concept of unwelcome. But Jade wasn't in a terribly shitty mood, so she would try to be somewhat nice and civil. When Michael sat down, he was close enough that she felt their shoulders touching.

"Evening, Little Mermaid." Jade heard the signature cocky smirk in his voice.

"Evening, Gordon," she replied. She thought it was a weird, quirky middle name and wished she had one too, but no. She had to be stuck with stupid Krystal. Who the fuck would look at her and think Krystal? Not Jade. Maybe her mom just had an obsession with gems. She felt Michael take her hand in his and she groaned. What was with him and holding hands? Jade didn't like it. She tried to pull away, but Michael only held on tighter. "Seriously, Gordon, let go. Or you'll return home castrated."