The truth can hurt

Many horrified faces looked at Jay. Antonio and Mouse were the only ones who knew the whole truth.

"Is it true?" Ethan asked softly with an offended tone, letting his dad's hand go. Jay swallowed hard, but certainly did not want to argue with his son in front of all his colleagues.

"Ethan. Let's go," Jay said, reaching out to him again, "Come on."

"Is it true what he's telling?" Ethan asked again, avoiding his dad's grasping hand. Seeking help, Jay looked around at the stunned faces. He did not find the right words, "We talk about it at home."

"Yes or no?" Ethan asked. This time, clearly anger was felt.

"It wasn't your fault, Ethan." Jay tried to find a beginning in the unpleasant truth.

"So it's true?" a single tear rolled down Ethan's cheek

Jay nodded hesitantly, "Yes... please let us go now."

Reluctantly, his arms crossed, Ethan trudged after him. The drive was the most silent Jay has ever had since Ethan was born. Angry, the boy was sitting in the backseat. As soon as they reached the apartment, Ethan ran right into his room.

"I think I should go home." Erin mumbled. She did not want to get between the fronts. Jay needs to talk to his son urgently.

"Yeah... or you're coming in?" Jay asked hopefully.

"Jay. I love you and I like Ethan, but you have to fix this without me." Erin said gently.

"Erin, please."

"Did you believe Ethan would never find out the truth someday?" Erin asked.

"I thought it's better when he didn't find out. For a good reason. Look at him now." Jay said.

"He has been kidnapped. He wasn't at home for twelve weeks. And on top of that, Ethan learns about this news. Ethan is still in shock and if I were you I would talk to him." Erin said goodbye.

CPDCPDCPD

Gently, Jay knocked on the door and opened it slowly "Hey buddy. May I come in?" Jay asked carefully. Ethan lay huddled on his bed, clutching his blankie.

"I owe you an explanation," Jay said, sitting down on the bed next to him. He gently rubbed his hand over the small back. "I want you to look at me when I talk to you. Ethan, please."

Annoyed, Ethan groaned and turned to him. His eyes were fill with tears.

"I'm sorry that you had to learn it that way... but it is very important that you know it's not your fault."

"I'm to blame." Ethan said sadly.

"No, Ethan. You mustn't think like that." Jay took a deep breath, "Listen to me. Uh... the pregnancy and the birth went great with no complications... it just happened. Later, the doctor said that a blood clot formed, leading to a heart attack. Nobody could know it."

"So I'm to blame." Ethan stated.

"No. Never, Ethan. Please don't blame yourself. You know, your mom was doing great after the birth. She was happy to hold you in her arms, even if it was only for a short moment." Jay explained.

"Why did you lie to me?" Ethan asked.

"Did I lie to you?" Jay asked

"Well... yes." Ethan thought.

"I was honest with you from the beginning. I've never made a secret of your mom's dead. I only changes the details." Jay explained and Ethan interrupted him, "Why did you do that?"