7 - Gilderoy

You sit next to Harry in detention, something youve grown accustomed too. Towers of fan mail are at your sides, and the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher sits at your side as he signs photographs of himself in golden ink.

"Harry, (Y/N)… Can you possibly imagine a better way to serve detention than by helping me to answer my fan mail?" You sigh dramatically, wrapping your starry cloak closer to your body as your dress pants and silk blouse werent doing much, though you're sweater did help.

"No, I cant." You say, giving Lockhart a hideously fake smile.

"Fame is a fickle friend. Celebrity is as celebrity does. Remember that, you two." He says, waving a bright red quill towards you. You continue your awful smile, pulling your maroon lips tight. As you go to insult Gilderoy, a sort of voice whispers in your ear.

"Come, come, come to me. Come to me!"

"What?" You ask, searching around the room for the owner of the whispers.

"I'm sorry?" Lockhart asks, looking to you with a curious glint in his eye.

"Didnt you hear that?" Harry asks, clearly having heard the same thing as yourself.

"What are you talking about? I think we’re getting a bit a- drowsy. And, Great Scott- no wonder! Look at the time! We’ve been here nearly four hours! Spooky how the time flies when one’s having fun. Heh, heh." You glance at Harry, hearing whispers of a tongue still tickling is lips as someone tries to speak to you.

"Yeah....spooky."

*Time Skip*

Youve retrieved Hermione and Ron, who dash after you and Harry down the corridors of Hogwarts. The walls are dimly lit by torches as you continue to run next to Harry, your friends trying to keep up as you follow the whispers in the air that only the two of you can hear.

"Blood. I smell blood. Let me rip you. Let me kill you. Kill! Kill!
Kill!"

"Did you hear that?" You ask, your feet skidding across the floor as you round a corner sharply.

"Hear what?" Hermione asks, looking at you incredulously.

"That voice.....its moving." Harry says as the whispers grow farther away, where you chase them down the halls. Your exasperhated friends follow you down the halls as you shout back at them.

"I think its gonna kill!" You exclaim, hearing Ron whimper. You round one last corner, nearly stepping into a large puddle of water rolling down the hallway. Spiders scramble up a wall, relatively in a line for some reason. They seem....organized.

"Weird. Ive never seen spiders act like that." The curly haired girl behind you says, glancing at the arachnids crawling away. Ron shivers as he backs away from the creatures.

"I hate spiders." He turns, looking to a brightly lit wall the spiders creep towards. "Whats that?"

"‘The Chamber of Secrets has been opened… enemies the heir… beware.’ It’s written in blood." You say, reading the dripping red liquid painted onto the stone wall. Nearby, you see a feline hanging on a torch holder, completely still above the water.
"Its Filchs cat. Its Mrs Norris." You say, furrowing your brows. That poor creature....

Suddenly, students come around both sides of the corridors, cornering all four of you against the blood covered stone. Students, which are mostly Slytherins, crowd as they read the letters.

"'Enemies of the heir beware?´ You’ll be next, Mudbloods!" Malfoy pronounces, sneering at Hermione. You glare at him with electric (e/c) eyes, his own blue glare meeting yours as an adult comes through the crowd. Just the one you wouldn't want. Mrs.Norris' owner.

"What’s going on ‘ere? Go on, make way, make way. Potter-- What are you…Mrs. Norris? You’ve…murdered my cat." Filch spits, breathing heavily. He takes steps through the crystal water, approaching Harry as he was of course a prime suspect.

"No! No, I didn't!" Harry says, putting up his hands to calm him. It doesnt work as he advances on him.

"I’ll kill ya… I’ll kill ya!"

"ARGUS!" Filch stops in his tracks, near to strangling your brother. He turns, seeing Albus Dumbledore approaching with other teachers such as McGonagall and Snape. "Everyone will proceed to their dormitories immediately. Everyone except… you four." He says, pointing to you and your friends. You smack a hand to your head. Why is it always you? The other students quickly walk away, but you make sure to have Malfoy see your glare as he leaves.

"Shes not dead, she's been petrified." The headmaster says, looking up at Mrs.Norris' hanging body.

"Ah, thought so." Lockhart says, nodding his head cockily. "So unlucky I wasn’t there. I know exactly the counter curse that could have spared her."

"Of course you did!" You say, grinning at Lockhart with a vile smile. He frowns at your look as Albus speaks once more.

"But how she has been Petrified, I cannot say…"

"Ask him. It’s him who’s done it. You saw what he wrote on the wall!" Filch exclaims, pointing at Potter.

"It’s not true sir, I swear. I never touched Mrs. Norris."

"Rubbish!"

"If I might, Headmaster?" Snape says, looking at you and your brother. "Perhaps Potter and his friends were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time."

You and your friends look at each other in shock. Why would Snape ever support the four of you?!

"However, the circumstances are suspicious. I, for one, don’t recall seeing Potter or (L/N) at dinner."

"I’m afraid that’s my doing, Severus." Gilderoy says, interrupting the conversation. "You see, Harry and (Y/N) were helping me answer my fan mail."

"That’s why Ron and I went looking for him, Professor. We’d just found them when they said…"Hermione trails off, wishing hse hadnt spoken as Snape asks what we'd said.

"That we werent hungry, sir." You say, looking up at the Potions teacher. Dumbledore glances at the raven haired professor, smiling.

"Innocent until proven guilty, Serverus." Snape glares, looking down at yourself and Harry. You shrug innocently, smirking.

"My cats been petrified!" Filch cries, pointing to his feline. "I want to see some punishment!" Dumbledore calm voice speaks up, and you sigh in relief.

"We will be able to cure her, Argus. As I understand it, Madame Sprout has a very healthy growth of Mandrakes. When matured, a potion will be made which will revive Mrs. Norris. And in the meantime, I strongly recommend caution… to all."