Summons

WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS IMAGES OF GORE AND SUICDE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT SORT OF THING, I'D RECOMMEND YOU DON'T READ THIS.

October 28

    I slammed my door shut in frustration and jumped onto my bed. My date hadn't gone at all like I planned. Leslie had stood me up! I couldn't believe it. I thought we had something. I rolled over and glimpsed my phone on my nightstand. Maybe I should try texting her again. Maybe she was busy, or there was a family emergency that came up. I tried to convince myself somehow that Leslie hadn't stood me up, that she had wanted to come. I unlocked my phone and typed in her number. Her name appeared. I pressed the text bubble.

    Hey, you never showed so I left. What gives?

    I waited for almost 30 minutes before she replied.

    I saw your other texts. I was busy.

    You were the one who recommended today. Why bother if you aren't going to show?

    Look, Collin, I thought it would be nice to go out with you but my friends told me what happened. I don't need your bad luck ruining my life. Now do me a favor and delete my number.

    What the heck? Leslie! That wasn't my fault!

    I'm sorry. The person you are trying to reach is no longer receiving direct messages from you.

    I chucked my phone at a pile of clothes on the floor. She's got to be kidding me! What happened......it wasn't my fault! I fell asleep after a while. The only sound in my room was the gentle scraping of tree branches against my window.

October 29

    I jumped up at the sound of my alarm clock blaring in my ear. I'm gonna be late! I scrambled out of bed and into the bathroom. I pulled my shirt on and jumped into my pants. I quickly brushed my teeth and ran out the door, breakfast all but forgotten. I hopped on the bus just as it was preparing to leave. I walked towards the back of the bus. I caught Leslie's eye. She whipped her blonde hair over her shoulder and looked out the window, throwing her bag into the seat next to her.

    Whatever. It's not like I wanted to sit next to her anyways. Not after what she did. I sat in the very back of the bus by myself until we picked up Josh. He walked back and sat down next to me.

    "How'd your date go?" Josh elbowed me, his eyes gleaming mischievously.

    "She stood me up. I went home and texted her and she ended it for good. Apparently she doesn't need my bad luck ruining her life," I whispered. I didn't want anyone to hear about our break up, not yet.

    "Oh. I'm sorry," Josh shifted uncomfortably.

    "Josh, it wasn't my fault. Right?" I asked.

    Josh shook his head. "No, of course it wasn't. Scarlet wouldn't have blamed you. It was just a terrible accident. Besides, its been almost a year. People should get over it."

    "Yeah. A year on Wednesday. Man, I miss her."

    "Me too."

    The bus rolled to a stop at the school. I got out and walked into the school. I headed upstairs towards my locker. People stared at me all the while. Almost a year and they still blame me. At least when I was with Leslie they stopped talking. I imagine the story will spread now. I approached my locker and opened it. I shoved my bag inside and grabbed the few books I needed. Turning, I headed back downstairs to my English class, a class I just so happened to share with Leslie.