Marty's

Three days Later

Three days Later.....

I'd never been one to judge. Everyone had their own life stories and testimonies. Some worse than my own. Dressed in tattered clothes and with matted hair. She had one too. She looked to be no older than fourteen as she shooed the young boy into one of the nearby booths.

I could feel the shift in the atmosphere from my coworkers at Marty's as she neared the counter. One glance at her and they all thought the same thing— another beggar. Another person looking for a handout. They wouldn't say it but it was all on their faces. Even more evident as everyone pretended to be doing something more important as she approached the counter.

They were just like my parents.

The company Martin Andrews owned was one of his many chained restaurants, and he wouldn't let me or anyone else forget it. It only took a hour in the city to find his face plastered on every billboard, bus, and park bench to brag about how amazing of a restaurant Marty's was. I'd worked there since I was sixteen and i could vouch that it wasn't all that. Marty's the home of the thick burger and the best milkshakes the town had to offer had become half of my existence, and just like everything else it was the same.

Same food, different name. Same underpaid workers and the same prude managers. Out of the time I'd worked here no one knew Martin was my father. I'd opted to keep it that way and it worked in my favor because my last name wasn't Andrews. Working here offered me my own independence and money that I'd used to benefit me. I wanted nothing from my parents. Everything they'd ever done for me had been thrown in my face, so I worked my ass off for every penny so I didn't have to ask them for anything.

I lived off my own money and occasional deposits from Rayan. Everything my parents ever put in my account remained untouched. One reason why I didn't understand daddy saying they weren't going to fund my dream forever.

They never had. Marty's did. Daddy didn't even know I worked there, and I don't think he'd care too. As long as someone was breaking their back to make sure his Restaurant thrived he was fine.