unsur3.aes

A week later

Never thought I'd be this tired, I barely get enough sleep, if any at all. I have to wake up several times a night to feed him or change him. I find myself falling asleep during the day, thank god Darlene is still here. I don't think I'd be able to do this alone. I woke up with a terribly sore and swollen chest today as if I worked-out and focused only on my chest, Darlene called Layla for some info. Apparently, my milk is coming in and my chest is what they call engorged, it should go away in a couple of days. Doesn't change the fact that it hurts like a bitch.

"Why aren't you lactating? Isn't that a thing? That your motherly instinct should pick up on the fact that there's a kid and you need to feed it even though it isn't yours?"

"I don't think that's how it works Elliot. Although don't you think it would be weird for ME to breastfeed YOUR kid? With us being siblings an' all?"

"I guess your right. Sorry for complaining about everything, I thought I'd be done with all of this by now, instead, I'm struggling through awful cramps, my chest has become a milk factory and I'm bleeding from a place I never have before."

"TMI dude, TMI."

"Sorry."

"Well, no one said it would be easy. Hold on, you never bled from your vagina? Or whatever it is you have."

"No. From what I recall, I would just be really uncomfortable and achy for a day every month but nothing ever came out of me."

"Lucky Bastard." She stood up.

"Alright, we have an appointment with the pediatrician today, remember? You're coming with me." She walked to the bathroom.

That will be the first time I go out in months and the first time I go somewhere with him. Sometimes I wish he still were in my belly, I kind of miss that feeling. I walked over to the crib and held him.

"Hey, Alex... uh... we're going on a trip today."

Saying that reminded me of when Darlene dragged me to my first prenatal visit.

"Remember our first trip? When you were still inside me and we went to the hospital to see how you were doing? That's when I first saw what you looked like."

I started rocking him in my arms and turned around to see Darlene leaning against the wall, smiling.

"Would you quit quietly observing me?"

"But you do such adorable things when you think you're alone."

"Well, there's a reason I do them when I'm alone."

"You don't have to be embarrassed Elliot, this is normal. And see, you're finally warming up to him."

"I guess."

"Alright, come on, we have to get going."

She took Alex and laid him in the car seat that came with the stroller.

I put on my hoodie which gladly fits me again and took Alex with me. We walked out of the building and Darlene flagged down a cab. Normally we would've used the subway but I'm still quite sore so I can't walk for too long. We walked inside the clinic and sat down in the waiting room for our turn. After about fifteen minutes a nurse walked in.

"Mr. Alderson?" It was finally my turn.

We walked inside the docs office, the walls plastered with a cutesy infantile wallpaper, a firetruck shaped exam table along with a couple of chairs close by and a desk on the other end.