Chapter 5: Second Round

Once Dana confirmed I was fully healed, my team returned to our room while Nick and I gave a report to Ozpin and General Ironwood about the fight with White Fang. 

It was my first time meeting the General and he seemed to be impressed by my size and fighting ability, even though my report basically says I got the crap kicked out of me by a girl shorter than Carli before getting blown up by Roman Torchwick apparently. That noise I heard is a signature of his weapon. The girl was an associate of his called Neo and she was apparently, one of the deadliest assassins in Remnant. That made me feel a little better about losing the fight. We were dismissed and headed back to our rooms.

When I got to mine, I was disappointed to see that Velvet wasn't there. 

"Where's Velvet and Flynt?" I asked. 

"They went back to their rooms to discuss strategies for the doubles round tomorrow." 

"Oh. I guess we should probably do that too." I said. 

"No kidding, oh wise leader." Lapis said. 

I sat at my desk and started to work on my shield. Thanks to a few of Nick's alterations, I wouldn't have to order any parts from Atlas. 

"So. Who do we want to send?" Lazuli asked. 

"Ox definitely." Lapis said. 

"Why me?" I asked. 

"Because other than the intimidation factor you naturally have, you're our best hand to hand fighter and physically the strongest of us." Carli said. I sighed, 

"Fair point. Who's going with me?" 

"Lapis" Carli said without hesitation. 

"Wait what?" Lapis said. 

"You're the best marksman on the team and your shield would give our team maximum defensive abilities. Between you and Ox, we'd have both close range and long range covered. Plus, it would give us a chance to use Stampede formation, which has proven to be very effective in training against a variety of opponents." Lapis and I stared at her. 

"When did you start studying combat tactics?" I asked. 

Carli reddened. "I didn't. That's just what makes the most since to me." 

Lazuli hugged her tighter. "Babe, you're brilliant." 

I shrugged. "Makes sense. Sound good to you?" 

I asked Lapis. She sighed very dramatically. "I guess." 

"Then let's get some sleep. Round starts tomorrow."

We woke up, showered, and grabbed our gear before catching a ship up to the arena. Lapis and I went to the waiting area while the randomizer picked teams. 

The first match was between two teams I didn't know, one from Haven and one from Atlas. 

The second match was Coco and Yatsu vs Mercury and Emerald. We were rooting for CFVY, of course, and were shocked when they were eliminated. I would have liked to go comfort Velvet, but I couldn't leave the waiting room. 

Next match was Nora and Pyrrha vs some team from Vacuo. I didn't catch their names and the match was over too soon for me to care, Pyrrha and Nora annihilated them. Then it was our turn.

"NEXT MATCH! TEAM OPLL OF BEACON!" 

Surprisingly, we got cheers instead of confused silence. 

"AND THEIR OPPONENTS! TEAM TTNM OF VACUO! 

I looked over at the two people across from us. 

The leader, who the scoreboard identified as TJ Astor, stood almost as tall as me, with dark skin, no hair and bulging muscles that strained the fabric of his gray t-shirt and blue jacket. He also wore black cargo pants and carried a blue and silver hand axe in his right hand. His dark eyes studied Lapis and I thoroughly, assessing everything about us. He was going to be a tough opponent to beat.