Chapter 12: Aftermath

Ox's POV

I woke up with no idea where I was. I groaned. Everything hurt. My chest and right arm felt like they were on fire and something was covering my right eye. My left eye though, felt like it was welded shut and took around a million years to open. I groaned. Then I heard the most wonderful sound in the world.

"Ox? Ox are you awake? Please love, tell me you're awake."

"vel..vet." I croaked out hoarsely while finally managing to open my eye.

Velvet was on my left, both hands holding my left hand tightly. He hair was a mess and her eyes were bloodshot. Still, by far the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

"Ox! Thank the gods!" she turned towards a doorway and yelled "He's awake!"

I looked around. I think I was in the infirmary. I tried to sit up and failed miserably. I had no strength at all. I heard the door burst open and saw Lapis, TJ, Nick, Flynt, and Coco.

"Thank the gods. How are you doing fur rug?" Lapis asked.

"hurt. a lot." I croaked. "what...happened...to...me?"

Lapis turned away. "that guy, Adam Taurus, he...he slashed through your aura. And he...he...he cut out your eye." She said, turning around with tears in her eyes.

I saw Velvet crying too. I squeezed her hands. "don't...worry...babe. I'll be...okay." I said, wishing my voice sounded stronger.

TJ cleared his throat. "Not just that. Apparently, when your hammer exploded, it caused some nerve damage to your arm. Doc's say they get some kind of nerve chip that can fix it, but it'll take some time. Same with a prosthetic eye."

I looked at the group and noticed some were missing. "Where's the representatives... from RWBY... and JNPR?" I asked jokingly.

Everyone's face fell, and I knew that whatever they were going to tell me wasn't going to be good.

"JNPR is in mourning." TJ said. "Pyrrha...she's dead."

If he had turned his fist to steel and punched me with all his might, it would have hurt less. Pyrrha was dead?

"how...?" I croaked.

"A woman named Cinder Fall killed her. She was one of the ones on Mercury's team. All of them are currently missing."

It felt like all the air left the room. "What about...RWBY?"

TJ took that one too. "Not good. Weiss's father took her back to Atlas. Blake disappeared. Ruby did something with her eyes that froze a big Grimm dragon on Beacon, still not sure on that. And that guy Taurus, he...he cut off Yang's arm. Qrow took both of them back to Patch."

I waited a long time before I trusted my voice to speak again. "Where are Lazuli and Carli?"

Lapis broke down crying in Flynt's arms and Nick punched the wall next to him, leaving a decent sized dent. When he spoke, his voice was full of sadness and fury in equal parts.

"Lazuli and Dustin are being healed now. They both had concussions, broken bones, and gunshot wounds, though Lazuli's are through and throughs. Dana helped stabilize both of them and they should be out in a day or two."

"What about Carli?"

Nick took a moment, not meeting my eye. Then he said "Her parents were part of the White Fang attack. Lazuli, Dustin, and I tried to fight them, but...they...they took her."