More Questions

Tucking the boy into bed, Bai Qian sat beside him to tell him a story

Tucking the boy into bed, Bai Qian sat beside him to tell him a story.  One her father used to tell her when she was little.  The boy lay quietly listening but after a while she realized his attention was elsewhere.  Stopping mid sentence, she kept her eyes on his little face and watched as his mind forced out an array of emotions and having lost himself completely to his thoughts, he had not even noticed she had stopped talking.

"A Li.." she called down softly with a smile.

Looking up, the boy suddenly ducked his head down against his blanket in embarrassment.  He often lost himself to his thoughts, and sometimes it would take a good hard shake to bring him back again, only this time, she didn't touch him, because she could see his thoughts were perhaps troubling him.

"Mother.  Do you love father?" he asked.  This was what he had been thinking about so deeply, because to his young mind, it didn't seem as if she did.  No sooner had his father left for the Mortal Realm, then his mother had rushed straight to Kunlun Mountain.  And as much has he liked the Disciples and the freedom he had among them, it wasn't home.

But what really bothered him, was the conversation he had overheard between his mother and Uncle Mo Yuan.  He may not have understood what they were talking about, but he had seen the way she had looked at his uncle.  It was a look she had never given his father, in fact she never even held his hand like she did with his uncle but most of all, was the way she had hesitated when his Uncle asked if she wanted the marriage.

He might be a little boy, but he knew enough to know, his mother might like his Uncle more than his father.

"A Li.  It takes a very long time for love to grow.  I have only just met your father, I hardly know him." she said as gently as she could.

"But you have known him for as long as I have lived, is that not long enough?  Because I love you" he said while also insinuating that she did not love him before becoming tearful at what she would say next.

Sighing, she really didn't want to have this conversation with him, not when she needed the time to think, but seeing the tears she did her best to ease them.  Nothing tore at her heart more than a child in tears.

"A Li.  Listen to me.   I know you want your mother back, but I am not her.  I am Bai Qian of the Fox Clan.  A High Goddess, an Immortal, not your Mortal mother.   But that doesn't mean that I don't love you, you are very precious to me, so whatever happens, I will always be here for you." she said lightly stroking his hair.

"But I don't want you to be here.  Your place is at The Celestial Palace with me and Father.   Because you are my mother." he said bursting into tears.

"A Li stop." she said gently pulling his upper half into her arms.

Holding onto him tightly even though he was fighting against her, she wondered what had brought this on.  About to question him, he suddenly interrupted while giving her the answer.