Beyond Fear

The ground for miles was rupturing, in the distance Bai Qian caught glimpses of homes disappearing into the thick black clouds of dust that rose high into the air

The ground for miles was rupturing, in the distance Bai Qian caught glimpses of homes disappearing into the thick black clouds of dust that rose high into the air. Trees were swaying, the ground was bulging and the very air began to fill with the scent of sulphur. But worse was the noise. It was as if they were back on Ruoshui River bank, the noise was horrendous. One never ever forgot the sounds of war, which was what her brain was registering as she ran hand in hand with Mo Yuan.

Mo Yuan had suggested that the final hit had activate the volcanoes and the small smile on that mans face suggested he knew something because as she ran, she realized the man had made no effort to fight back. Of course her team were the eilte of the marital arts world, so an average man with no skills wouldn't stand a chance against any of them. But still, from what she knew of the One Percent, those who were wealthy beyond measure, their safety was taken seriously, and many of them were trained to protect themselves by either taking courses in self defence such as martial arts, or in weaponry which she realized he didn't even have.

It was a slip on her part, she should have realized something was amiss. Or rather she should have taken heed of that feeling she had the moment she awoke. She had never really had a sense for danger in her true form, but in her Mortal form she had learned to not only tap into that part of herself but to listen to and it had been very strong. Mo Yuan too had felt it and he'd said so, but still, to not act on it was a slip up and one that possibly could end all of their lives and this Mortal world with them.

Only all of this came to mind as she ran towards the tip of the airports watch tower she could see in the distance. But the noise was distracting along with the bulging of the earth beneath her feet. She felt dizzy and disorientated, and one quick glance at Mo Yuan said he was also feeling the same thing but the determination to survive had kicked in and they ran like they had never run before.

In fact, thinking about it, she realized, in their own world, she had never really seen him run much less afraid. The fear in his eyes was all too real, and it only increased the anxiety that was steadily building. For herself, him, her son, this world and their own as if it was all about to end and that somehow, she along with her Shifu Di Jun and her brothers had just inadvertently assisted Qing Cang in destroying it all.

For twenty solid minutes they raced towards that watch tower as fast as their feet could carry them. Ahead and behind her, the rest of her team that had survived were also on the run with them and as the large metal fencing came into view, the years of intense training kicked in. Whether she noticed the airstrip buckling beneath the planes already in motion and many others preparing for take off, she gave it no thought.

Instead as one group they scaled the fence and raced towards one of the planes while Bai Qian swerved off towards the terminal entrance for her son who she could see through the window. His little face was pressed up against the pane of glass, while behind her Mo Yuans voice was screaming something at her, but the fear and tears in those small eyes was all she was focused on.