The Trial 5 - Wedded Bliss

Slowly Bai Qian picked up where she had left off having cried herself to sleep

Slowly Bai Qian picked up where she had left off having cried herself to sleep.  It was several more hours before she awoke, and her father had lowered her barrier to check on her once at her mothers insistence.  Though seeing the tear streaked face, even in sleep had him sitting beside her for a time while his mind went back to the day she had been born.

Bai Zhis own tears began to well, and being one who never held back on his emotions, especially when it came to his children, he would cry if that was what he wanted to do, and so he did as he brought back the memory of a little girl that had been placed in his arms just moments after she was born.  

Personally, he had thought she looked like a shrivelled up mushroom, but he loved her from the first moment he set his eyes on her.  But as she grew, so did her charms and her loveliness, both of which she used to get her way.  And when it came to him, he never denied her anything, because she knew exactly how to get what she wanted from him.

And that was in the tears she could force out at whim,  a flutter of lashes and the way her hand would purposely cling to her dress to make herself look as pathetic as possible.  But to learn that she had been that Mortal that even he had heard whispers of, only hurt him more as the vision of a carefree and happy child was instantly shattered while wondering what the hell Ye Huas agenda really was.

To fall in love with a Mortal woman was not a big deal regardless of what the Celestials thought of it, Immortals fell for them all the time, and sometimes, beautiful love stories were born from them, but his daughter had been hurt, not just hurt, but she returned a broken woman.  And it wasn't just the missing eyes that angered him, but her broken spirit.  She had so much courage and feistiness, but to see her reduced to a whimpering frightful child once again raised his anger.

Back then, Zhe Yan had told him a little of her state of mind, and it had been fractured severely.  So to see his little girl who loved everyone, would hurt no one and did her very best to give the best of herself to then return home having had her soul almost destroyed, was difficult for him to cope with.

For centuries she had turned her back on the world that she had once loved to roam, just to tend to her Shifu.  She became reclusive and completely ignorant of the world and those she shared it with, perhaps to a point where she was just too naive when it came to men, especially powerful men who knew exactly how to get what they wanted.

Zhe Yan told him that he had suspected that she had been that Mortal, but to learn that she actually had been, had Bai Zhi once again focusing on Ye Hua.  From the little he knew of him, he seemed to be a rather astute young man, very clever, a warrior who was making a name for himself and not just as a fighter, but also for the kindness he had shown the Ghost Tribes beasts that Li Jing had almost destroyed.   He was also a natural born leader, the Crown Prince of the Celestial Tribe and the next Heavenly Lord, what father in law would not want him for his daughter? he asked as he looked down at the tear streaked cheeks that had fallen silent in sleep.