My First Sunset

"What does the ocean look like?" I asked mother as we swim together.

"I don't know. I have never lived in the ocean. I grew up in this place just like you," she answered. "But the past generations hoped and we still hope to live in the ocean again."

We live in a big aquarium together with other fish. We are the last of our species. Years ago, our ancestors were taken to this aquarium to save us from extinction. Scientists have created an artificial environment similar to our natural habitat for us to survive. They did not lose hope and believed that one day they will return us to the ocean to live as our ancestors had.

In the world outside this aquarium, as I hear scientists say, more and more people are helping our home, the seas, rivers, oceans, and they do the same at land. Nowadays, people avoid the use of plastic bags and bring their own reusable shopping bags. They also use tumblers instead of plastic cups.

Everyone is helping save the planet and we are very thankful. We, especially the older fish, are happy that people are helping us, and each other bring back what we have lost - our home. And today is the day we've all been waiting for. The announcement was made this morning. Today, in the first day of the year 2580, we will return to oceans and rivers, and other bodies of water, all of us.

The scientists transferred us to smaller aquariums and transported us to where we are to spend the rest of our lives swimming freely. Finally! Now I will see what the ocean looks like and I am very excited. We are all excited. It is already dark when we reached our destination.

"The sunset view in the ocean is as breathtaking as ever," I heard an old fish say with a sigh. I turned to see what they are looking at and saw a vast area of water, an endless sight, and in the middle of it, is the most beautiful display of colors I have ever seen - shades of red and orange in the sky, beautifully reflected in the dark waters - my first view of sunset, more mesmerizing than any picture ever painted.

One by one, the contents of the aquarium were poured in the ocean. In that moment, I learned that we, fishes, are not the only ones glad to be finally home. As I took my first swim in the water, I met creatures of different forms and beauty. They call themselves turtles, sea horses, crabs, shrimps, corals, and many other names. "What a wonderful thing!" I thought.

Today is the best day of my life. I hope that all the people will help take better care of our planet from now on so that every creature of the land, of the air and trees, and in the ocean, will have a happy and clean place to live in.