Chapter VI

The next morning came without warning, the sun's rays shining through Toothless's doorway on Hiccup and Astrid. Hiccup wakes up first, not realizing that Astrid was wrapped in his arms. He slowly rises from the bed, trying not to wake Astrid once he realizes that she's there.

He heads downstairs and cooks a little bit of breakfast for them, seeing as his dad was already out chiefing. A couple minutes later as he finished cooking, Astrid comes down the stair. Her hair had fallen down while they were asleep, and she was wiping the sleep from her eyes as she yawns.

"What are you doing, Hiccup?" she asks.

"Cooking a little breakfast, obviously," he chuckles.

"I didn't know you could cook," she laughs.

"Many nights alone when dad goes off on business has forced me to learn. Not always a bad thing though. It means I can generally eat what I want."

"True, true," she says as she comes behind him and wraps her arms all the way around his waist in a hug.

Huh, she's never done that before, Hiccup thought. He just smiles.

The two eat breakfast and head to the academy to tend to dragon training, where the gang was gonna work on fighting from the backs of dragons and trusting that their dragons know best when making a split decision in an escape situation while flying.

Most of the day went smoothly, except for when the twins tried to make their dragons go oppostie directions when a tree came out of nowhere caused them to be thrown from their saddles and Hiccup almost had his head taken off by an unexpected tree branch.

************

Astrid goes down to the beach after the training was through to think about all that's been going on. She almost lost Hiccup a couple months back and now she's confused on where they stand with each other. Sometimes he makes it seem like they're more than friends and others it seems to be just that, a friendship. They fell asleep last night after Hiccup's little spell at what his father said and then she put her arms around his waist this morning and he didn't stop her.

"What are you thinking, Hiccup?" she wonders aloud.

Stormfly came over and sat beside her. Astrid couldn't help but smile at the gesture made by her bestfriend. They've grown so close to each other, it's almost like Astrid can read what Stomfly is saying with her body language. She looks out at the ocean, the moon starting to rise into the air.

"Let's go home girl," Astrid mounts Stormfly.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"He's not gonna be pleased with us for losing the girl again..." a man's voice rings out.

"Don't even talk about it," a girl's voice answers.

The two lone figure get in the longboat and trail out into the sea, both contemplating on what the consequences will be for them after the last group got off with lashes for failure. The two look at each other, hoping that their fate won't be worse.