Chapter IV

The next day started in a blur for Astrid. She was nearly caught by Hiccup last night at the forge. She had seen the reason why Hiccup disappears every so often throughout the week. It was because he was making the pendant. For Astrid. She couldn't help but smile at the fact that Hiccup still wanted to at least be friends.

"I still have a chance then," Astrid says as she spreads her arms while flying on Stormfly.

"What did you say?" Fishlegs asks.

Astrid forgot they were on a routine training route, which means the other riders were around.

"Just talking to myself. You know how I can be," Astrid answers him.

Fishlegs just shrugs his shoulders and peels off towards his designated direction. As Astrid looks around, she see Snotlout follow Fishlegs, his partner, the twins go to the right, opposite of the other two, and see Hiccup just glide above her as he looks for danger. Astrid looks back in front of her, smoke still beaming.

"Someone seems a little bit happier than usual," Hiccup says.

"Yeah. I guess you can say that," Astrid giggles.

Astrid beams even more now that Hiccup finally said something to her.

"Race ya to our spot," Astrid challenges.

"You know I'll win," Hiccup throws back.

"We'll see about that," Astrid grins.

They both take off at incredible speeds. As they fly along, they weave in and out if the sky-high rocks jutting out if the water, each trying to find the tightest turns to block the other.

Hiccup slips up, which allows Astrid to gain ground and finally get ahead of him. They reach their destination, Astrid emerging the victor.

"Looks like you finally won," Hiccup says as he dismounts Toothless.

"You let me win," Astrid calls him out.

"I have no idea what you are talking about," Hiccup shrugs.

Astrid give him a look and turns away smiling. Hiccup rummages through his bag to pull out a map sketch meant for new places that he wants to find and another full of places already found to add on to.

"So what's our objective here?" Astrid asks.

"We came to make sure that the habitats of the dragons are doing well and that the dragons themselves are well," Hiccup cooly says.

"But this isn't a dragon island," Astrid points out, placing her hands in her hips.

"Is it not? We must've taken a wrong turn," Hiccup says as he reaches in his bag to retrieve his map.

Astrid was about to turn around just as Hiccup pulls something wrapped in cloth out of his bag. It was small, and she couldn't tell what it was. Hiccup looks up at Astrid, unsure as to what needs to be said.

"So since I have no clue what to say... here," Hiccup hands Astrid the object.

Astrid takes it, unsure at to what it is. As she unwraps the object, she automatically smiles as she sees the black and silver-etched butterfly. Her free hand instinctively covers her mouth as she starts to tear up at the necklace.

"I, uh, just wanted to, um, apologize for what happened at the forge..." Hiccup says as he scratched the back of his head. "I hope you like it."

Astrid looks at Hiccup, happiness filling her sapphire eyes.

"Of course I do," Astrid says as she hugs Hiccup. They embrace each other, tears going falling from both if their eyes.

"You know, sometimes I wish I was a tear," Hiccup starts.

"Why do you say that?" Astrid giggle as Hiccup wipes her eyes.

"Because I'd be born in those sapphire eyes, live on your flawless skin, and die on those perfect lips," Hiccup says.

Astrid just looks at Hiccup, mouth slightly open at what he just said, blushing.

"Uh... Did I say something?" Hiccup blushes.

"No, what you said was perfect," Astrid hugs him again.

"I'm glad," Hiccup chuckles. He takes a half-step back, taking Astrid by the hands.

He leads her deeper to the center of the island, where wind starts to pick up slightly. In the distance, music could be heard the closer to the center of the island you get.

"I found this place last week when I went on a flight to clear my head. I call it Instrumental Island. The wind carried through these holes in the rocks, trees, and plants creates the most wonderful music you've ever heard," Hiccup explains to a confused Astrid. "And I was also wondering if you'd honor me with a dance before we headed back to Berk."

Astrid was looking around as he says this and turns to see Hiccup with a hand behind his back and the other asking for hers to dance. She nearly teared up at the sight.

They took hands, lacing their fingers and they start spinning to the music of the island. Soothing melodies with deep harmonies were playing in the background as the two just spun in circles, both with a happy lights in their eyes and a true smile on their face. Their bodies grew closer as they continued to dance, their motions becoming one as they press against each other, heads leaning on one another.

Soon the sun starts to set as time slips by, and Hiccup rushes them to a spot atop of some rocks. The sight was one to behold.

The sun's rays were reaching into the sky, turning the clouds all shades of pink, purple, red, blue, and green. The water's reflection was one of pure beauty, as the stretched picture of the sun was rippled by the ocean, glittering spots on the water' top look like fireflies.

Astrid's head leans on Hiccup's shoulder, and soon his head leans gently on hers. We wraps an arm around her, and gets closer, her arms around his waist.

"I hope this doesn't fade," Astrid whispers, looking up at Hiccup.

"Same here," Hiccup agrees, looking down at Astrid.

Then something passed between them both as they start to lean closer to each other, both hesitant. Seconds pass as their lips feel the breath of the other, and they finally meet.