chapter twenty-nine

"I like it."

They admired the room together, arms crossed as he took note of the newest arrangement if furniture. Luke's vanity was pushed against a wall beside the door and his own bookshelf was against the wall across beside the closet, filled with video game character paper weights and other things he made sure to tease him for. His own clothes hung beside Ashton's in his walk in wardrobe, and the musician even let him hang the wall decor from his old room around the house.

He's always wanted neon signs anyways, and these were basically free, so why not?

"I do too." Ashton grinned as he wrapped an arm around Luke's shoulders. "It looks better."

He felt the blond kiss his jaw and he looked at him, fingertips playing with the younger blond's mess of curls. He found it adorable when he had to put on a headband in the middle of folding away clothes, all flustered and red faced at his staring. Ashton put his own bandana around his forehead as well, not because he enjoyed the look anymore, but so his boyfriend didn't feel as awkward.

And if he secretly snapped a photo of Luke in the baby blue band on his polaroid then hid the developing photo, no one had to know until it was done.

Luke picked the same camera up from the end of the bed, taking photos of the room they had redecorated together. "For memories," he said. "- and for my... Instagram feed?"

Ashton nodded.

"I have my own for my own feed." He chuckled, thinking about and imagining how Luke would react once the polaroid was posted on his account.

"I love you." Luke wrapped his arms around his shoulders and Ashton dropped his own to around the blond's waist to pull him as close as possible.

"I love you too."

The kiss they shared was short lived because seconds after the doorbell rang once, twice, then three times in a quick succession. Ashton groaned, and Luke just gave him a slap on the bottom when he turned to the closet. "Go see who it is. I'll put the vacuum and sprays back where they belong."

Ashton rolled his eyes, but disappeared anyways to get the door. He also realized he could never handle being a bottom, he hated the after burn of the spank even if it was just playful.

He opened the door, finding both a familiar and unexpected face. "Crystal? H-Hey, what's up?" He asked and she smiled. "Mike's not here, but -"

"- actually, I wanted to talk to you. I texted you I was coming." She told him and he let her in.

"Yeah! No, I seen the notification but it slipped my mind because Luke -"

"- is moving in?" She finished and he nodded. "I see. You never had such fun things around your house."

She tossed a plush Mario figure at him and he caught it as he chuckled. "I wanted to check in on you and Luke. I know things were kind of rough awhile back and Michael felt like he shouldn't pry so deep, but I'm not him."

Ashton grinned. "Everything's fine actually. I haven't been having the best of days recently, but I think I'm going to get better."

"Really?"

He nodded. "I'm working on it, anyways." He held on to his arm. "I don't normally like to talk about my feelings, but I'm trying to open up. I also am working on the whole positivity thing... it's... going."

"Good. I was beginning to think you were just going to let yourself suffer alone." She nudged him and he shrugged. "You deserve to be happy. You have so many people who are here for you."

"I know. I never feel like it, but I know." He nodded as he thought about all the times he pushed his friends away when all they wanted to do was help him.

"Ash?" He heard and the drummer looked up at the sound of his boyfriend's voice. "Who was at the door? What did they want?"

Ashton watched as Luke pulled his t-shirt off while walking in, and he felt his face flush at the sight of fading hickies and scratches. "It's uh Crystal."

Luke paused, his shirt half-way over his head and covering his face. "Let me put my shirt back on then."

The two laughed as Luke managed to get his arm through the neck hole and his head stuck inside the arm hole. "Need help?" Ashton offered.

"I am a strong, independent, twenty-one year old man -"

"- help him, Ash." Crustal cut him off and Ashton approached his boyfriend with a shake of the head. "I won't stay long. I just wanted to make sure you were okay, and Luke's hand is alright."

He stuck his thumb up from the wrong opening in his shirt, the fabric stretching as Ashton tried pulling the shirt the correct way. "I'm okay! I did him a favor anyways. Maybe now he can get a hint and stop sticking his snout where it doesn't -"

"- can we not talk about him, please? I don't feel comfortable nor do I want to engage in this." Ashton asked and Luke shoved his head through his shirt before gasping.

"Sorry, babe. Can do." Luke kissed his cheek before looking at Crystal's retreating figure. "Are you leaving so soon?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "- like I said, I didn't intend to stay long! I just wanted to stop by and see how you were so Michael could stop being a wuss."

"Thanks for stopping by, Crys." Ashton told her and she smiled as she walked back to the door. "Tell Michael I'm okay, and if he and Calum wanted to come by sometime soon then I'd appreciate it. My pool is lonely."

"Will do. We need to get out of the house anyways, and if you're suggesting a get together, you know Calum wouldn't oppose." She nodded and Ashton locked the door behind her as Luke looked at him.

"Another party? Are you sure it's a good idea?" He asked and Ashton shrugged.

"Who cares? I have you, my friends, and jello shots. Worst case scenario, we publicly embarrass ourselves or wake up with bad headaches." He hummed and they shared a kiss.