Chapter Eighteen ~ A Thousand Nights

Chapter Eighteen

A Thousand Nights

            It had been four months since Bill and Fleur’s wedding. Four months since Adalyn and Harry had kissed in the sitting room atGrimmauld Place. Five months since she had seen the trio, Mr and Mrs. Weasley and the twins. Four months since she had seen anyone, for that matter.

But one night she was twiddling with the radio, and muttered her fathers name while tapping the stupid contraption (which was always switching stations at odd times, probably because Sirius messed it up so badly before her gave it to Adalyn) when suddenly Fred’s voice reached her over the radio. Adalyn had nearly fallen off her chair she was so surprised.

“We apologise for our temporary absence from the airwaves, which is due to a number of house-calls to our area by those charming ‘Death Eaters’. But, we’re back! So, lot’s more news concerning the wizard who is proving just as elusive as Harry Potter. We’d like to refer to his as ‘Chief Death Eater’. And here to give us views on some of the more insane rumours circulating about him, I’d like to introduce our new correspondent ‘Rodent’!”

I’m not being Rodent! I told you, I want to be, ‘Rapier’!” said Fred, and Adalyn had to laugh. She was at Quinn Manor, and her Aunts came into the library, wearing identical confused expressions.

“Adalyn, what is that?” asked Maggie.

“Shh!” Adalyn said, turning up the volume “Listen!”

“Oh alright, “Rapier”! Could you tell our listeners the various stories you’ve heard about the Chief Death Eater?”

“Yes I can,” said Fred “As our listeners will know, unless they’ve taken refuge at the bottom of a garden pond, You-Know-Who’s strategy of remaining in the shadows is creating a nice climate of panic! Mind you, if all alleged sightings of him are genuine, there must be nineteen You-Know-Who’s running around!”

“This suits him of course,” the other voice went on “The air of mystery creates more terror than actually showing himself.”

“Agreed. So people, let’s try and calm it down a bit, things are bad enough without inverting stuff! For instant, this new idea that You-Know-Who can kill you with a single glance from his eyes-”

Adalyn snorted quietly; how stupid were some people? “Shh!” hissed Aunt Gwen and Maggie, shooting their niece a sharp look.

-That’s a Basilisk, listeners! One simple test: check whether the thing that’s glaring at you if it has legs, it’s safe to look. Although, if it really is You-Know-Who, that’s still likely to be the last thing you ever do.” Leave it to Fred to bring laughter out in these dark times, even over the radio.

Well, thank you for that update, ‘Rodent’!

Rapier!

And don’t forget to tune in again listeners, for more stores, tales, updates, and advice. In the meantime-