Epilogue ~ The One That Got Away

Dedicated to everyone who has an Adalyn, or more importanty, a George or Harry.

Ginger knights and green eyed boys are hard to find.

Hold onto them.

Epilogue

The One That Got Away

            Darkness was descending on London; shadows falling across Adalyn’s tear streaked face, blood still on her face from the wound from the battle. Her jacket and boots were on the floor, and she stood in the middle of the living room, her torn dress blowing slightly from the breeze drifting through the window.

“Hey,” she turned around slowly to see Harry, brilliant green eyes watching her from the doorway.

“Hey,” she whispered, turning back around.

“What are you doing here?” asked Harry, still not moving from the doorway.

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?”

Harry shrugged and crossed the room, standing right behind her, warm breathe tickling the back of her neck “I thought you might be here, so…here I am.”

“What about Ginny? Ron and Hermione? They’ll be worried.” She hadn’t wanted to bring up Ginny, but it had just slipped out.

“George is worried about you,” he reasoned “He’s really quiet.”

“You think I should have stayed?” there was a bit of resentment in her voice, a little bit of venom, but Harry either didn’t notice or was in a strange state of calm.

“I think you needed what I need; some peace and quiet, somewhere safe.”

Turning her head slightly, Harry could just see her blood covered cheek and silvery grey eyes as they filled with tears “Everywhere is safe now, thanks to you.”

Harry shrugged and put a hand on her shoulder, giving it a light squeeze “I guess…but I’m working on clearing Sirius’ name, and then…then you don’t have to hide anymore. You’ll be free.”

Turning all the way around, she narrowed her eyes menacingly at him “Set me free, have you? And whose job was that?”

Remaining calm, Harry shook his head “I thought you might’ve changed, you know, since going out with George and the war being over.”

“The war has been over for a day, Harry. George is heartbroken and my best friend is dead.”

“I’m sorry, Ada…I really am.” He hugged her then, and memories of those blissful few months together hit Adalyn like a bludger to the head. “I’m sorry You didn’t get to know Sirius, I’m sorry that Lucy died. I’m sorry that Sirius died much to soon, and I’m sorry…I’m sorry for everything that happened between us.”