2

"YOU WHAT?!?!" I scream as I stand up from the couch after Scott explained everything that happened while I was at Victoria's. "First, you break the guy's leg because he's good at lacrosse and then, you bite him???"

Stiles tries to soothe my anger by rubbing up and down my arms but I smack his hands away and continue to pace. "Nix, please sit back down..." he pleads.

"He was gonna fall off of the roof! What else was I supposed to do??" Scott exclaims. I stop in my tracks and glare at him. My chest rises and falls rapidly with my anger.

Once again, Stiles tries to mediate. "Evelyn, look at me." Slowly, I turn my eyes to him at the sound of my actual name. He gives a small smile. "It was an emergency situation. Scotty had no other choice to save him," he says calmly.

I inhale deeply through my nose and release it shakily. My anger is dissipating into something worse and my lip quivers. Stiles' features soften when he notices. I sniff quickly and wipe my nose with my sleeve. "Yeah. Whatever," I respond, my tone thick with ice.

"Ev-" Scott puts a hand on my shoulder and I jerk it away.

I look up at him as my eyes water involuntarily. "Don't talk to me." With that, I grab my stuff and stomp up to my room. I slam the door and sink to the carpet. Tears fall silently as I clutch my knees to my chest. He bit Liam. Now, Liam is gonna turn or die.

After a little bit, I wipe my face and get up. I change into my pajamas and sink into my bed, not even worrying about brushing my teeth. I'm so exhausted from the argument, I fall asleep quickly.

In the morning, I grudgingly get out of bed and pull on my clothes for the day. I head downstairs after grabbing my bag to find mom and Scott in the kitchen. "Morning, Cookie. Sleep well?"

"Need more," I grumble like I always do. She chuckles softly and I reach into a cabinet for some granola bars. As I pass the table, I lean down and kiss her on the cheek. "I'll see ya later, momma."

She smiles at me. "Have a good day, sweetie."

As I head outside to grab my bike, Scott comes up behind me. "You can't ride your bike to school," he warns me. I turn my head and narrow my eyes at him. "Mom said you're only allowed to when you have work after school and me or Stiles can't take you," he reminds me.

Silently, I pull out my phone. After my thumbs pad the numbers, I press the call button. One ring and the line picks up. "Hey, Vicki?"

"Lyn? Morning! What's up?" She says in her cheery demeanor.

I sigh while facing away from Scott. "Do you think you and your dad can swing by and pick me up on the way to school? Can't ride my bike today..."

"Oh, yeah. Of course we can! Be there in a couple of minutes," she promises.

"Thanks. You're the greatest," I tell her and hang up. Sticking my phone back in my pocket, I cross my arms and walk over to the sidewalk to wait.

Scott appears beside me again. "You're really not talking to me over this?" He asks incredulously. All I do is stare at him. My face is flat, but I'm sure my eyes say that I'm deeply hurt because his features soften. "Ev, I'm sorry. It's not like I meant-"

He's cut off by the beeping of a car horn. Vicki and her dad pull up next to the curb and I hop into the backseat. Once I buckle my seatbelt, he pulls back onto the road. I watch Scott get smaller in the rear view mirror.

"Everything okay?" Vicki asks, grabbing my attention. I look at her through the mirror. "Why couldn't Scott take you today?"

I give her a meaningful look in the mirror. "I'll tell you when we get to school," I promise. She nods, understanding my secretive tone.