10

Third Person

Liam's leg jostles rapidly as he sits on the edge of his bed, glancing out at the dark sky every five seconds. Ev was only supposed to go see Scott and then come right back. She could be hurt. Or worse.

The door opens downstairs and Liam immediately rushes to the edge of the stairs and sees that it's Evelyn. She leans against the door, catching her breath. "Where have you been?"

Her head lifts quickly to see Liam. "Relax. They were across town..." she says as she trudges up the stairs. "It took a minute to get all the way back here on foot."

"Why didn't you call a cab?" Liam crosses his arms as she heads to the guest room.

She scoffs as she grabs a few things from her bag. "Because not everyone is made of money, Liam. I used the last of my spare cash to use one  yesterday." She shoves past him gently and heads down the hall.

"Why didn't you call me?" He questions, almost hurt. "I would've picked you up!"

Without stopping, she calls over her shoulder, "With what car, Liam?" He stops a few steps behind her.

"I've been worried sick," he admits and his eyes widen incredulously as she stands in the doorway of the bathroom.

Rolling her eyes, she responds sarcastically, "I promise I'll call next time, mom." Liam tries to retort but she's already closed the door in his face. A second later, the shower is running and Liam shuffles back to his room.

He rolls his eyes as he settles into the floor in front of his bed and flips on one of his video games. He's midway through some quest by the time Evelyn strolls into his room carrying her study materials. His mouth parts slightly when he sees her.

Damp hair falls over her shoulders in curls, frizzing a little as it dries. She has on a plain black tank top and a pair of baggy, gray sweatpants that has CYCLONES written down the leg with their school symbol. When Liam finally pries his eyes away to look back at the screen, he sees that his character has died.

She gently tosses the stuff onto the bed before flopping down herself. Silently, she opens the book and starts outlining chapters for next week. Liam starts over, painfully aware of her normal heartbeat mere feet away from him. Every few minutes, he hears the comforter rustle as she moves.

The bed bounces and she sighs each time. "Everything okay up there?" He questions, his eyes still locked on the screen just as he defeats an opponent.

"I can't get a comfortable position to study in..." she mumbles. There's something off about her tone.

He pauses the game and turns to look at her. "Are you sure that's what's bothering you?" He gazes at her knowingly.

"How am I supposed to concentrate on studying when our friends could be dying?" She groans as she flops on her back, leaving her head hanging off the end next to Liam. The proximity allows him to inhale the fresh scent of the body wash she uses.

Liam's eyes fall to the carpet and he sighs. He doesn't know how to respond to that because she's right. People could be dying and they're locked away in his room playing video games and studying for a stupid test. "Why don't I get us something to eat?" He offers standing up.

"Sure, whatever," she breathes out, clearly still distracted.

He quietly heads downstairs and wanders around the kitchen looking for something she might like. Finally, he decides on making some pizza rolls. Liam pops them in the oven while he goes to get some sodas from the fridge. He carries them upstairs to wait while the pizza rolls finish baking.