9

His hand cups my face as his fingers slide into my hair. The other pulls me into him by my waist while he stands on his knees. His full lips move against mine softly. They push and pull me in perfect synchronicity.

Unconsciously, I bring my hand up to rest on the one holding my jaw. I feel the pressure of his fingertips sink into my back. My pulse skyrockets and I exhale through my nose. I suddenly remember what's going on and bring my hands up in between us as I pull away.

My fingers brush my lips lazily as I clasp my hands. "You can't do that," I breathe out before I suck my bottom lip between my teeth, still tasting him. His gaze flits over my face repeatedly. Shaking my head, I stand up. "I-um...I gotta..." I stutter.

"Ev, wait!" He stands up as I walk toward the door.

I wave my hand around dazedly. "I'm gonna go tell Mason that you guys are okay...I'll see you at home Scott." I throw the remark down the hallway, not even sure if he heard me. My heart beats in my throat as I turn and flee. As I run outside and push through the masses of unhappy partygoers, I pull out my phone. I dial Victoria.

"Hey! Where did you go? I haven't seen you in forever..."

"I'll explain later," I breathe out as I look around in panic. "Call your dad and meet me at the front. We gotta-" My words get caught in my throat as I jump in surprise after running into someone. I turn around and see it's Mason. "I'll be there in a few minutes. Tell him to hurry."

"Roger that!"

Mason looks me over in worry. "Did you find them? Are they okay?"

"Hm?" I swallow down my heavy breathing. "Oh! Y-yeah. They are. They're in the school. I gotta go," I rush out as I jog away quickly, giving him no chance to respond. Once I reach the entrance, I pace anxiously until Vick arrives.

"Lyn!" I turn toward my name. "What happened that we have to leave urgently?!" Vicki questions as she speeds up to me.

My breathing is shallow and I try to make it deeper. "Later." I wave my hand dismissively. "How far away is your dad?"

"Five minutes...what is going on??" She asks again when she sees the panic in my eyes.

I bite my bottom lip roughly. "Long story short? Didn't get a chance to tell Liam. People tried to set them on fire for the deadpool, and...Liam kissed me." I ramble hurriedly.

"Wait. What?" Her eyes widen. "I don't even know where to begin with that," she mumbles. "That was your first kiss! How do you feel??"

"I have no idea...That's why I bolted," I explain as my chest slowly stops heaving. "More happened but we gotta get out of here before I have to talk to Liam." I go back to pacing as we wait, shaking the jitters out of my hands repeatedly.

After the longest five minutes of my life, her dad pulls up and we pile inside. "Are you girls okay? Did you not have fun at the bonfire?" He asks protectively.

"It was fun...but the power to the music was cut so...not really anything left to do but drink...and we didn't wanna drink?" Vicki responds unsurely.

He thinks on this for a moment and nods. "I'm glad you girls are so responsible." Finally, he pulls away and drives through town. My phone pings and I check it. It's Liam, so I turn it on silent and put it away. "Are you staying the night tonight, Evelyn?"

"Huh?" I look up from my lap. "Oh, sorry. Um...I can't. School night and all. Plus I have a big math test next week that I need to study for. Vick is too distracting to get anything done," I joke.

He chuckles and she shoots me a silly face as he makes a turn to head toward my house.  A few minutes later, we pull up next to the curb in front of my house. He parks the car and turns to me as I unbuckle. "Is your mom home? You shouldn't be here by yourself with all the crime going on lately."