3

"You can't wear that to the party!" Vick scolds me as I brush out my ponytail and prepare to leave to pick up Liam.

I click my tongue at her. "You know it's not an actual party, right? It's a trap. Nothing more." My head shakes as I walk across her room to grab my phone.

"He's gonna think something is up if you don't dress like you're going to a party," she points out.

I ponder this for a moment as I text Kira that I'm ready to be picked up at Vicki's. "Who says I wouldn't wear this to a party?"

She groans and hops up out of her desk chair. "All you have to do is change your shirt. Nothing else," she pleads as she goes to her closet. "In fact...your boots are already killer for a date to a party."

"It's not a date. And it's not a party," I reiterate. Sighing, I take off my long-sleeve shirt from today and stand with my arms crossed. "Just pick whatever you're picking so I can get this over with."

She squeals in delight as she rummages through the shirts on hangers. "Aha!" She exclaims as she turns around and throws a shirt at me. "You're gonna look smokin' hot in that shirt!" I hold it up and examine it. It's wine-colored with soft gray shoulder straps that wrap around to the middle of the shirt in the back. The fabric on the back is soft as well, but the front is chiffon and has light purple and white flowers with dark green leaves that match the background.

"You know I don't like showing my shoulders," I remind her and she rolls her eyes as I pull it over my head anyway. Immediately, I feel a chill across my chest. "Wow. Cleavage, much? What if I get cold?"

She sighs. "Fine." Then, she reaches back in her closet and retrieves a black leather jacket. "Wear this. It matches." She crosses her arms as I pull my arms through the sleeves and adjust the collar.

"This. This I like." I grin at her as I look in the mirror. She giggles as she stands beside me and I resign to not complain anymore. It's not like I'm gonna have to wear this all night. I just have to get him there, get him locked up and then I can leave. "Thanks, V. You're the best."

She shrugs with a boastful grin. "I know. Now, if you would put on just a little masca-"

"No." I chuckle and we hear a horn honk outside. "Not a date. Not a party. There's no need for mascara." She seems like she's about to protest but she closes her lips. I give her a quick hug and grab my things as I head out front.

"At least take your hair out of the ponytail!!" She calls after me with one last effort.

I sit in the front seat as Kira pulls away from the curb. My phone lights up the semi-dark car as I text Liam that we're on our way and I need his address. He responds quickly and I begin directing Kira across town. I click the nails of my thumbs together as the car ride is awkwardly silent.

"Hey, thanks for doing this," she breaks the silence. All I do is nod as I watch the lamp posts blur by. "I mean, I know you didn't have to. I could've just as easily done it if you hadn't. But-"

I interject flatly, "So, why didn't you?"

"Huh?" She glances at me and then back to the road.

I repeat my question. "Why didn't you just do it? Instead of dragging me into all of this, which Scott never wants to do...why not just have you do it so I don't have to get involved?"

"W-well...I'm not sure exactly. At first, it was Lydia's idea to have me do it. I was going to..." she rambles on. "But, Scott decided that he wanted you to do it. I dunno...maybe he thought you'd stop being mad if he let you help?"

A scoff escapes my lips. "His logic is terrible...he thought I'd stop being mad by making me interact with his new Beta? That's real smart," I say, sarcasm dripping off my tongue.