13

We all watch helplessly while blow after blow is landed. Some Peter's. Some Scott's. Liam and I stay far back to one side and behind a pillar, out of the way of the epic battle. But, he stays poised to intervene if it doesn't end well. I would too if I could get my head to stop swimming.

After throwing Scott into a wall across the room, Liam's had enough. He steps forward to help with me right behind him, but Peter notices. He grabs an overturned bench and effortlessly throws it in our direction.

"Liam!" I shout nervously. He quickly turns back around and grabs me before crouching down and shielding my body with his.

It shatters against the pillar next to us, splinters flying everywhere. We turn, hearts pumping with adrenaline to see Peter begin to stalk toward us. Movement catches his attention and he turns, growling when he sees Scott bravely standing back up.

Liam stands and pulls me back up with him, before situating us behind the pillar again. We all watch with bated breath as Scott calmly walks toward Peter, blocking every single punch. It almost looks like he's moving at super speed. Scott finally lands a punch in Peter's side.

"Yes!" I cheer quietly, gripping Liam's hand with hope.

The next punch is an uppercut that sends Peter flying over the concrete ceremony table. Scott hops up on the table and I lean around the pillar to get a better look. Scott's voice almost sounds like it's laced with pity when he addresses Peter.

"You were never an alpha, Peter," he pants, "but you were always a monster." I sneak a glance at Liam and see pride shining in his eyes. Looks like someone's finally glad they're a part of the pack.

Growling angrily, Peter sits up to try and fight again. But, Scott leaps off of the table coming down hard to connect his fist with Peter's face. He knocks out cold with the sound of bone crunching.

We spill out from behind our hiding places, waiting for Scott's next command. Despite the blood coming from my head and the burning in my legs, I stand tall. Proud to be a pack member with my brother as our leader. I think we all know in this moment that we'd follow him to the ends of the Earth.

Dawn breaks over the church while everyone converges in the deserted courtyard above ground. I see Derek by his vehicle with Braeden and surprise registers on my face. Without thinking, I limp toward him as fast as I can, Liam trailing behind to make sure I don't fall.

"You're alive!" I exclaim, throwing my arms around his waist.

He doesn't hug me back immediately, but once he realizes what's going on his arms circle me tightly. "Can't get rid of me that easily," he chuckles, carefully ruffling my hair.

I finally pull back with an elated grin, and then look around. Hunters stand around, I assume the Calaveras, deputy Parrish is leaning against a van, and Chris is there too. With a small smile at Derek, I make my way over to Chris with the help of Liam.

"Take it easy," he warns me in slight annoyance, "you're already gonna be out for days after this. No need to make it a week." I roll my eyes with a scoff, but secretly I love that he's so protective.

Chris sees me and opens his arms wide. I fall into him, earning a pained grunt. "Are you okay?" I pull back, glancing at his hand holding his abdomen.

"Better now that I got to see you before we left," he sighs with a smile.

My own smile falls away at his words. "Left? What are you-" The words trail off as I look around at the Calaveras watching him.

Scott and Kira come forward, and they talk about Peter being kept unconscious with wolfsbane for the trip back. I back up to stand on Scott's left, Liam to mine with an arm around my waist for support.